Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 01-20-2016, 02:21 AM

SSDiver is on a distinguished road

Looking forward to following your tank build.

I have Matt and Dave making my new 180 gal tank as well. Awesome guys to deal with. Fully understand the drive to pick up the tank, I live about 8 hours away as well. From people I have talked to it will be worth the drive for the quality they put into their builds.

I just about got them to make my stand as well but decided to build it myself out of aluminum. Material costs only ended up being around $200. Had to add small gussets in the corners to install magnets for the outer skin.

Here is a pic of the stand frame not yet polished or painted.Only weighs about 40 lbs.

Attachment 14876

Mike

Last edited by SSDiver; 11-15-2016 at 02:34 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:54 AM

Fishy! is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiver View Post
Looking forward to following your tank build.

I have Matt and Dave making my new 180 gal tank as well. Awesome guys to deal with. Fully understand the drive to pick up the tank, I live about 8 hours away as well. From people I have talked to it will be worth the drive for the quality they put into their builds.
Yes they have been great to deal with so far. No matter what my mind dreams up or changes I make the answer is always "no problem"
We were headed up to Edmonton that weekend for a hockey game before this tank started to unfold. My wife's an Oilers fan and I'm a leafs fan so we are going to catch that game. I guess u can say it all kinda lined up. My wife's aunt lives and Calgary so we will shoot across the day after the game and even have a place to stay. I'll be checking out the local stores while I'm there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiver View Post
I just about got them to make my stand as well but decided to build it myself out of aluminum. Material costs only ended up being around $200. Had to add small gussets in the corners to install magnets for the outer skin.

Here is a pic of the stand frame not yet polished or painted.Only weighs about 40 lbs.

Mike
That looks awesome! I can have my way with almost any type of wood, metal not so much. One day I will buy a welder and hone my skills when I have a little more free time. I considered building the stand out of 80/20 extruded and priced it out, but with the price that Matt gave me on the stand all finished and powder coated I couldn't pass it up. I told him I would go ahead with it as long as it can be done for when we are there to pick up the tank. So that is the only contingent.
Glad to have u tagging along. Leave a link for your build so I can follow, if you have a journal going.

Last edited by Fishy!; 01-20-2016 at 03:06 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:23 AM

Howie is on a distinguished road

Glad you got the stand figured out. Lol I was going to build my own stand as well until I found out the price from concept and the warranty that comes with it. After I found that out it was a no brainer lol

Howie's 82g Tank Journal
Old 01-24-2016, 02:01 PM

Does anyone have any experience with the he coral box skimmers? I have been reading good reviews on them, and am considering either a Dc300 or Dc500. They are almost the exact price of the BM Curve 500 but you get a controllable do pump. I will be running a Jebao return pump and powerheads so the continuity would be nice. Any experience/opinions?
Old 02-15-2016, 12:42 AM

Well our trip to Alberta is coming to a close. Here is a quick sneak peek at the goodies coming home. Unfortunately short a stand, but it will be shipped soon. Details to follow.

Last edited by Fishy!; 02-15-2016 at 12:48 AM.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:24 AM

Well here's where I'm at with this build:
We took a trip out to Edmonton on Thursday to watch the leafs play the oilers. On Friday we spent the morning and afternoon at the west Edmonton mall before driving to Calgary.
Saturday was quite the adventure, we spent all day touring the fish stores in Calgary, 7 of them to be exact. Got to take a look at my new display and frag tank before they were wrapped up for the trip home. We ran into a little bit of a snag. It turns out that the stand I had ordered, after searching the entire store and compound, never got forwarded off to the stand builder, who happened to be standing there while we were looking for the stand. Needless to say my truck was going to get loaded up to head back to Regina short a stand. This was handled swiftly by Dave, he committed to getting the builder to rush it into production and is covering the courier cost to have it sent to me in Regina. Thanks Dave.
While loading my truck on Sunday I got to talking to Jason about my plans of buying a 50gal and making it into a sump. I explained how much trouble I was having finding a bare 50gal. He threw out the idea of having them build me one and getting it sent with the stand. So back into the shop we went to price it out. After getting back home and a few patient email responses from Jason this is what is being made for me.

We're hoping to get the sump and stand on the truck to Regina for Monday. Things are starting to come together.

Here are a couple of pictures of the frag tank unwrapped, and with the two IM 102 frag racks I picked up from Roskoreef. They fit in there great!

This is my least favourite configuration:

My preferred configuration:

And finally a couple of sneak peeks of the display tank:

Last edited by Fishy!; 02-19-2016 at 12:26 AM.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:26 AM

Roskoreef is on a distinguished road

Wow those racks fit nicely! Nice setup!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2016, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roskoreef View Post
Wow those racks fit nicely! Nice setup!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Thanks Alex! They fit perfectly. Can't wait to get all these parts together and get these tanks wet.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:10 AM

Well I picked up a Rodi unit today from a local reefer who shut his tank down. I am very happy not to have to lug water from the grocery store anymore!

It came with a tds meter. I have had a few tufts of hair alge popping up in my display and what looked like detritus on my sand bed I have been trying to vacuum out every water change. I cut back feedings and upped water changes to no avail, and started to suspect the source water a month or so ago. Tonight armed with the new tds meter I took a reading on the bottled water I have been using. This is what I found:

I am fairly certain that this might be the cause of my struggles with the blooms of algae. I feel like when you are running your water through an Rodi unit and coming out with 0ppm that 76 is quite high. Am I wrong?
I unfortunately have to work tomorrow (these 60 hour weeks really eat into Reefing time lol) so I likely won't get the unit online until Sunday. If I am coming out with 0ppm out of the unit I think I might just dump the 10gals of mixed water I have on hand for my next water change and make new. Would you, if you knew it was mixed with 76ppm water??
Old 02-20-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy! View Post

.....few tufts of hair alge popping up in my display and what looked like detritus on my sand bed...
I don't know what I was thinking when I typed this but I meant diatoms.