Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 02-11-2010, 04:00 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Your RO has an auto shut off, just ignore that post. It doesn't make sense to me either.
what does not make sence? I think I'm being clear? I made last post before I seen his last ones

But yes, now that he says he has a Pressure tank RO, he allready has a shutoff installed on the RO system.

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 02-11-2010, 04:44 PM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

You do not have to have a tank in your RO system to have an auto shut off valve (ASOV)
Most systems come with this valve so that the unit shuts itself off and does not make any more ro water nor any more water to the drain.
Here is a link, for a picture, there are a lot of pics on the web.
http://www.goodwaterwarehouse.com/cat/6_roasv.shtml
Old 02-11-2010, 04:48 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat View Post
I have a Kent Float valve mounted 3/4 up in a Rubbermade garbage can. Almost a year now, Never had an issue. We'll turn the RO on when the can is low and leave it for 1-2 days. I don;t think you will have a problem with the Fresh water. How many humidifiers have you heard about flooding? replace the float valve every couple-5 years just to be safe, because the seal will wear out, just like the taps in your home.
+1

Quote:
Now, using it direct in a sump, possible Salt Creep and such, That's a different story.
FWIW I use them in my sumps .. don't really have a problem with salt creep because the freshwater coming out flushes any away. About once a year I'll take them apart and blow out any dust or whatnot.

Only thing is you do not want your RO/DI direct to a float valve, as it will cause excessive wear and ultimately premature failure of the RO membrane. Instead, feed the valve off a bucket reservoir that you only fill once empty.

That's what I do anyhow.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:54 PM

superduperwesman is on a distinguished road

Yeah I have 2 float valves wired to a sprinkler valve for my tank ATO. And I also have the sprinkler valve on a timer so it only has power for 2 min 6 times a day. So It has a fair amount of protection. If the first float fails then I have the second and if it fails too then hopefully full water for 12 min a day won't flood the tank before I notice.

The humidifier float is just for my water changing. Like sphelps said, just a safety mechanism in case I forget that I'm filling the can while watching tv or something. I assumed that they were pretty reliable if they're used in humidifiers but I wasn't sure if maybe humidifiers had another safety mechanism that I was unaware off? And I wasn't sure how often these need replaced / have problems but it doesn't sound like anyone has had any?
Old 02-11-2010, 04:56 PM

superduperwesman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillegom View Post
You do not have to have a tank in your RO system to have an auto shut off valve (ASOV)
Most systems come with this valve so that the unit shuts itself off and does not make any more ro water nor any more water to the drain.
Here is a link, for a picture, there are a lot of pics on the web.
http://www.goodwaterwarehouse.com/cat/6_roasv.shtml
Oh ok... thanks. I'll look for this when I get home... like I said. I don't actually have it all plumbed in yet I was just trying the float valve out on the R/O supply line that I ran. I'm gonna pick up my R/O from my old place this weekend.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:59 PM

viperfish is on a distinguished road

I have a humidifier float valve installed in an 80 gallon Canadian Tire Rain Barrell. It works flawlessly. I get enough water to do changes in all of my tanks at once if I need to. I have no valve and the thing has not failed me in over a year. I do have an auto shut off on my RO/DI system. I currently have my RO/DI supplying water to my 180, 90, 33, 20, and w/c barrell all at once, and all with humidifier float valves. I just fill my w/c barrell at night so i can keep the other resivoirs full for my ATO's.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:01 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

No extra protection on the humidifiers and if you think about it household pressure is anywhere from 50 to 100psi typically.. think the biggest problem tends to be calcium buildup over time.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:08 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat View Post
what does not make sence? I think I'm being clear? I made last post before I seen his last ones
Most of it, but don't take it personally. All RO units should have an auto shut off unless they are the portable units which are only hocked up to a water source when needed. I wouldn't say that's the norm most units are permanently hooked up to a water source and the shut off valve is on the output. This being the case it will require an auto shut off whether a pressure storage tank is used or not.

The basic rule is to never rely on mechanical floats. I believe humidifiers have a drain if the water level gets too high, same as a toilet. Electronic systems can be designed with unlimited safety systems to prevent failure so you actually design them to meet your own personal confidence level.

Last edited by sphelps; 02-11-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:41 PM

viperfish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
The basic rule is to never rely on mechanical floats. I believe humidifiers have a drain if the water level gets too high, same as a toilet.
Most older humidifiers have a float valve and pan to hold water, the only drain is the one on the floor when it overflows. The mechanical float valves on these units last for years without fail. In my previous house the float valve had been working for 11 years and had not spilled a drop. The key to these things is simplicity. In my current humidifier I have an electronic solenoid and it took three of them before I got one that worked properly. I don't know of too many electronic devices, especially ones controlling water, that I would trust for 10+ years.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:42 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Well, I have just seen more of the temp hookup style RO units in this hobby than the permanent, drinking water kind.

Umm, a tank or 5