Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-21-2008, 09:04 PM

OCDP is on a distinguished road
Default Calcium & Alk. Additives - What's best?

Just wondering what's the "best" or most commonly used Calcium and Alk. additive? When I had my first reef, I was using Seachem products (the powders you mixed with top-off water) Can't really recall if it was all that great or not... and wondering if there's a best additive?? I know there's liquid buffers and powders, don't know if that makes one better than the other.. open to any suggestions.

I am only keeping softies for now, but I will be adding SPS as soon as I can, and want my calcium and alk. levels proper before doing so. I haven't been monitoring or adding any buffers yet seeing as it's just real basic softies in my tank right now.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:41 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

Ca reactor, basically set and forget
Old 10-22-2008, 02:41 AM

Canadian is on a distinguished road

In my experience ESV B-Ionic 2 part is the best. I've had better results with it compared to Seachem and Two Little Fishies C-Balance additives, and compared to my Ca reactor.
SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

"Mens sana in corpore sano"
Old 10-22-2008, 04:46 AM

MikeP is on a distinguished road

I used a liquid additive called DKH plus for a while (can't remember the brand name, I bought it at Elite though). On a small tank like yours a bottle would last quite a while and as I recall it wasn't too expensive. Now I'm using baked baking soda but my tank is pretty big and also uses up a lot of alk, I'm dosing daily. The baking soda method is working out really good for me.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

My Ca reactor keeps everything stable. Without it, I'd use kalk as Ca/Alk maintenance.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:39 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

It appears the latest German trend is towards a 2 part mix and doseing pumps. It's sounds like a better set and forget method than a reactor but I'm sure the maintenance is a lot higher

J
Old 10-22-2008, 01:43 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason McK View Post
It appears the latest German trend is towards a 2 part mix and doseing pumps. It's sounds like a better set and forget method than a reactor but I'm sure the maintenance is a lot higher

J
Agreed. I fill my reactor twice a year, and top off the CO2 maybe that much. The dosing might be a great way, but I think more work, and fairly costly to start up. Again, a reactor ain't cheap either, unless you make your own.

With this topic though, one really should know what the Ca/Alk consumption is, then decide how best to deal with it.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:41 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

I used Kent's 2-part "Tech CB" with good results. I don't think there's one "best" additive, though. I think many will work just as well as the other, as long as you're able to figure out how much/often/etc. to meet the needs of your tank.

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 10-22-2008, 04:31 PM
Banned

Whatigot is on a distinguished road

in all fairness, I picked up a pm ca reactor package for 300 bucks...
Not to bad for the lowered daily maintenance and future savings on additives.
I also have a schuran pico reactor package that I paid 250 for so if you don't mind going used, a ca reator may be more affordable than you think....
Old 10-22-2008, 07:10 PM

littlesilvermax is on a distinguished road

I have found that a good deal on 2-part chems is significantly cheaper then a calcium reactor. In fact the operating costs of a calcium reactor alone cost more then the 2-part dosing (if you get a good deal on the chems).

6 or 7 years ago I got a reactor cause I was tired of paying $25 for 1 Kg of calcium. It was cheaper to have a reactor back then. It is also easier to 2-part dose, less fiddling, less stuff to go wrong, etc..... If you think that all the parts on your calcium reactor will be trouble free for years you are wrong, maybe 5 or 6 years, but eventually you will have problems with your pump, fittings will get brittle, and your CO2 valves will have problems eventually as well.

That being said.....................I use a calcium reactor, not for the cost, but for the fact that I don't have to add anything to my tank for well over a month.

If you do want things like calcium and magnesium for a good deal, I am pretty sure there is a good vendor around here who sells them.

Just a side note, and something I may do on my next tank:

-get one container of calcium mixed with water and one of baking soda mixed with water.
-use a multi-head dosing pump to dose into your tank

might be a simple cost effective way of eliminating maintenance.
Calcium, Kalk, RO filters, magnesium, Excellent prices