Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 09-24-2015, 10:23 PM

dusty16 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishu_pepper View Post
The Xanthichthys genus (blue throats, crosshatch, sargassum, etc.) are known to be more docile and relatively reef safe. My limited experience with my blue throats is they are really shy but easy to get feeding. They haven't shown any aggression at all to other fish in the tank, big or small, and haven't touched coral and CUC. YMMV.

Also with the damsel topic, some damsels are definitely fine for a big tank like yours, my yellowtail just does his own thing. Some are meaner than others of course.
Triggers look cool but I dont want to deal with a bully. Maybe some day down the road Ill pick up a small one. And Ill drop by JL and see what damsels they have. I have a 30 gallon quarantine right now. Any chance they will pick each other off before they even get into the DT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokareefer View Post
As was pointed out, the Xanthichthys genus of triggerfish are known to be more reef safe and more docile, for triggerfish. They can get quite large though. As they get quite large, they typically become more aggressive to the point of them bullying. My personal experience with a blue throat triggerfish was that initially at 2 inches in length, she was scared of her own shadow, but then at 6 inches in length, was eating parts of the tails off my tangs that were bigger and being very aggressive to any fish during feeding time. I had thought my experience was out of the norm but when I researched more, I found more people had difficulties with Xanthichthys triggers when they got large.

As was stated though, fish are like cats and each has its own personality.
Yeah. I think Ill stay away from Triggers for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscez View Post
I had a stunning blue fading to purple pics never did it justice Niger trigger approx 5" nicest one I ever seen, and for the first 4 weeks was docile, then started to swim more aggressively and bump my other fish out of the way, then led to nipping the fins of all my other fish!! Back to J&L he went, shame
I saw a picture of your Niger. Looked pretty cool. What do you mean it went back to J&L? They accept returns?
Old 09-24-2015, 10:35 PM

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Heh, I think I saw that fish in JL. Feisty bugger! Would come ram the glass when I put my hand towards it. Beauty for sure.

I'd recommend a nice fairy wrasse collection; easy to feed and not really aggressive at all (unless same species).
Fairy wrasse's are awesome, but are jumpers. Just make sure you have something to keep them in your tank. There are so many nice options and the fish, on the whole, are so well behaved. Flame wrasse's pairs are unbelievable in color but you pay a tonne for them.

Flasher wrasse's are really nice too, but are more timid and stay smaller. If you are getting bigger fish, you would probably want to stay away from them.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:05 AM

Piscez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty16 View Post
Triggers look cool but I dont want to deal with a bully. Maybe some day down the road Ill pick up a small one. And Ill drop by JL and see what damsels they have. I have a 30 gallon quarantine right now. Any chance they will pick each other off before they even get into the DT?

Yeah. I think Ill stay away from Triggers for now.

I saw a picture of your Niger. Looked pretty cool. What do you mean it went back to J&L? They accept returns?
Yes they do, but you only get half retail.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:44 AM

rishu_pepper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hard to say, I guess stick with the more peaceful ones that Albert recommended. Since you're QTing, worst thing is they get aggressive and you can return it.

Hawkfish is another very unique fish, if you don't have shrimps in there, definitely give them a thought.

Brian
Old 09-25-2015, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokareefer View Post
Fairy wrasse's are awesome, but are jumpers. Just make sure you have something to keep them in your tank. There are so many nice options and the fish, on the whole, are so well behaved. Flame wrasse's pairs are unbelievable in color but you pay a tonne for them.

Flasher wrasse's are really nice too, but are more timid and stay smaller. If you are getting bigger fish, you would probably want to stay away from them.
Ill look into wrasse. I would just have to put a mesh screen on top.

Quote:
Hard to say, I guess stick with the more peaceful ones that Albert recommended. Since you're QTing, worst thing is they get aggressive and you can return it.

Hawkfish is another very unique fish, if you don't have shrimps in there, definitely give them a thought.
Ill be going to J&L on sunday so ill see what damsels they have. Never thought of a shrimp though. Longnose hawkfish looks pretty cool but it says they can eat smaller fish.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:31 PM

Piscez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ill look into wrasse. I would just have to put a mesh screen on top.

Ill be going to J&L on sunday so ill see what damsels they have. Never thought of a shrimp though. Longnose hawkfish looks pretty cool but it says they can eat smaller fish.

Long nose are cool but they too are jumpers
Old 09-25-2015, 04:09 PM

rishu_pepper is on a distinguished road

There are other kinds of hawkfish like arc eye and flame; I have the latter and the guy is a hoot, great personality, extremely easy to care for, funny looking and great red colour.

Brian
Old 09-25-2015, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscez View Post
Long nose are cool but they too are jumpers
Jeez. So many jumpers.

Quote:
There are other kinds of hawkfish like arc eye and flame; I have the latter and the guy is a hoot, great personality, extremely easy to care for, funny looking and great red colour.
Do they swim around a lot of just kind of sit at the bottom.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:36 PM

Anyone ever had a problem with a foxface and a yellow tang together? I heard that yellow tangs do not like other yellow fish.

And after looking at roskoreef's tank I think that a bunch of blue/green chromis looks pretty dam good.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:57 PM

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Anyone ever had a problem with a foxface and a yellow tang together? I heard that yellow tangs do not like other yellow fish.

And after looking at roskoreef's tank I think that a bunch of blue/green chromis looks pretty dam good.
My yellow tang harrassed my foxface regularly. The foxface was the larger fish as well, but the yellow tang was in there first.