Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-30-2009, 07:19 PM

Rbacchiega is on a distinguished road

I think I might try the vodka/sugar/vinegar dosing method (or a combination of which) on the 90 gallon mixed reef once everything is in place and then try the zeovit method on the 50 gallon bedroom tank...and do a comparison.
I've got so much glue on my pants it looks like a Friday night gone horribly wrong.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:32 PM

BCOrchidGuy is on a distinguished road

Interesting, but if you have to ween your tank later, do you also have to take it to Alcoholic Aquariums Anonymous?

Just kidding, there is always someone with some idea that seems goofy but it works, vodka??

One thing I've always thought is that a system you believe in works for you. Placebo effect maybe, who knows but if you like the idea of something it will amaze you with how well it works. That being said, I don't mean that everything is a gimmick, vodka dosing may be the greatest thing ever, Zeovit perhaps. During the 80s when I had my first salt tank I was told to clean (strip) the filters a couple times a month and change most of the water at least once a month. Now we have Jaubert style, we have Plenums, refugiums, the list goes on and on. We've come a long way, it will be interesting to see how all this stuff holds up over the next twenty five years.

Douglas
Old 01-30-2009, 07:47 PM

I couldn't agree more, Douglas (in terms of how far the hobby as come in the last 10 years even)

Very interesting idea about a sort of placebo effect though. Never really thought of it that way, but it makes sense. I'd imagine that if you go into a zeovit system with nothing but successful threads that you've read, you'll think it's the greatest thing ever. That's why I'm following GSP's zeovit thread....The whole cyano thing is a real turn off and I'm wondering if there would be a similar outbreak with vodka? Definately something to think about and I think if we have two tanks being run by the same person (moi for example) each utilizing two different systems (one zeo, one vodka) and a closely followed thread (weekly updates perhaps?) it would be a good way for people to compare...
I've got so much glue on my pants it looks like a Friday night gone horribly wrong.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:56 PM

Captainhemo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbacchiega View Post
I couldn't agree more, Douglas (in terms of how far the hobby as come in the last 10 years even)
Definately something to think about and I think if we have two tanks being run by the same person (moi for example) each utilizing two different systems (one zeo, one vodka) and a closely followed thread (weekly updates perhaps?) it would be a good way for people to compare...
Hmm, better set up a 3rd for a control
Old 01-30-2009, 08:00 PM

.....don't tempt me....
Old 01-30-2009, 08:08 PM

Ahem, YOU should do one that's totally SPS, one that's Softies and one that's a mix... Do vodka on the first three then set up three more and do Zeovit... Perhaps Ultralith should be looked at as well.

The reason I think YOU should do it is because I'd end up homeless, chances are you'd have a better chance than I would.

Douglas
Old 01-30-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCOrchidGuy View Post
Ahem, YOU should do one that's totally SPS, one that's Softies and one that's a mix... Do vodka on the first three then set up three more and do Zeovit... Perhaps Ultralith should be looked at as well.

The reason I think YOU should do it is because I'd end up homeless, chances are you'd have a better chance than I would.

Douglas
And I"ll be right with you after trying to explain to the other half why we need 6 more tanks
Old 01-30-2009, 08:14 PM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
I would just go safe and go with ZEOvit. Actually that is what I did. The problem for me with uncontrolled carbon dosing like vodka is that you have no idea what bacterial strains you are feeding. It can be a risk. As said above, tank crashes even.

I guess in my opinion, why do it when ZEOvit does it better and safer? I guess for someone who can't afford ZEO, then maybe but even then...maybe you should just stock your tank lighter and stick within your budget...and by "you" I don't actually mean YOU but thats just what I would tell someone.

BTW, I did try Vodka dosing a while back and killed off half my corals. Some recovered, some did not. I started with a dose of .5 ml with a water volume of about 140G and still had problems. So even when going slow, bad things can happen. Its just way too unknown for me personally.

EDIT: Some of my fish developed a weird bacterial infection too after two weeks of vodka dosing. It did go away as soon as I stopped though. That also turned me off of it.
My Zeo smells like vodka and vinegar...

Old 01-31-2009, 01:18 AM

o.c.d. is on a distinguished road

Placebo no, chemistry Yes. It sounds funny yes but really it is just a carbon source so is the sugar and many more. Vodka being distilled 3 times make it a very pure and concentrated source. You don't want the vodka with a fruity flavor. Like I said many different sources, Vodka being readily available and so pure makes it ideal (and cheap). If you do try to test cool but take into effect the skimming very important.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:58 PM

One thing for sure about Zeo, you don't just dump it in once or twice a month and sit back and watch the whole show. It forces people to do daily maintenance, 3 drops of this twice a week, 3 of that daily, clean the Vits twice a day, do this do that. I figure if people keep up the routine it's going to work, which is a good thing but I can't help but wonder if they did the same amount of maintenance with out the 3 drops yadda yadda yadda would their tanks look similar? That being said, I'm using sponge power and wow am I seeing a lot of stuff growing on the rocks, tunicates galore, same rock I had before but more stuff growing. Aptasia seems to like it as well though.

Douglas