Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-22-2014, 01:02 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Yes they can come back but that has nothing to do with the lanthanum itself and will happen with any binding remover. Simply put its effective enough to remove what's readable pretty fast , then if removed as phosphates slowly leach out they will then show up again eventually if enough is provided and no other methods put in place are effective enough to remove it.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:38 AM

TimT is on a distinguished road

Hi Steve,

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy
Thanks for the replies Tim, that was one of the articles but there were about 3 more I was reading about the tangs, which had me wondering about it.. one instance and I wouldn't have even mentioned it.
No worries. With good info people can make good decisions...

I will try to keep a few Scopas Tangs and see what happens.

Quote:
6 years now... hmmm I've been under my rock far to long LOL
Yes, I felt the same way and I spent a lot of $$$ on that High Capacity GFO for a few years. That reactor was such a pain!!!

Quote:
Have you ever stopped dosing ? and if so did your phosphates start creeping back up?
I have not stopped dosing and regularly check my phosphate. It was 0.02mg/l this afternoon. Phosphates are a result of decaying organics... from uneaten food, dead creatures and decaying algae. If there is life and death there will be phosphates. Kinda like taxes... no getting away from it. LoL.

Quote:
I am looking at this for the purpose of cooking/curing a bunch of rock I have.
That is a great use for it due to it's low cost. You can remove all the bound up Phosphate in the rocks by just letting it leach out and then removing it with the Foz Down. No need to keep doing lots of water changes but just remove it slowly.

Quote:
My interest is will Lanthanum provide a permanent phosphate removal or will it have to be used long term?
With Foz Down you can remove all bound up Phosphate from the rocks. Once however you start feeding the system and life resumes there will be new phosphate created that will need to be removed from the water via Foz Down. So the answer is Yes and Yes.

Quote:
Also from what I have been reading its effectiveness is reduced the lower the Phosphate levels and they seam to be recommending it in conjunction with other phosphate removers. Is this your experience also?
With Lanthanum it is possible to reduce Phosphate down to 0.0015mg/l or 150 parts per billion. My experience is that I can get the Phosphate levels low enough in the system that I do not need to rely on other methods of Phosphate control. I only use Foz Down in my system.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 08-22-2014, 02:14 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkreef View Post
What dosage of ammonia and sugar did you use to prepare your rocks before setup?
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=103123
Old 08-30-2014, 12:17 PM

MitchM is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post

Problem is the rock is all old dead rock that will keep leaching, so that would be multiple 100% changes over a few months.
It sounds like the live rock has turned into a phosphate sponge of sorts.

What about swapping out the existing live rock with resin/plastic rock , then dosing Foz Down as ongoing maintenance?

The resin/plastic route seems to be working for this aquarist: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2391310