Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-17-2014, 12:16 AM

GoFish is on a distinguished road
Default Flatworm exit to remove predatory worm?

I have a predator worm in a rock (oenone fulgida) just trying to get rid of him and perhaps it's babies. I tried taking the rock out and pouring club soda all over the rock as per a LFS staff suggestion, nadda. Then tried electrocuting the rock with a 12 v car charger at 15 amps for 5 minutes in a bucket of water, nada. I know it's in there.

Now. Just started reading about ridding flatworms and it seems like some people are saying that other worms and brittle stars died using the product? If so perfect, I can just take the rock out and place it in a bucket and treat that rock?
Old 02-17-2014, 12:37 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
I can just take the rock out and place it in a bucket and treat that rock?
Why not just try placing the rock in a bucket of RO and wait for it to come out ?

No chems needed and such ...
Good luck
Old 02-17-2014, 01:57 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

What's the rock worth? Why not just toss it and cut your loses?
Old 02-17-2014, 02:04 AM

If anyone who reads this has or will have worms they want rid of in the future, please dont flush them down the toilet, drain or storm systems... Saw a post recently about someone sending a worm on a one way trip to the sea... Thats not funny or proper...

The electrocution method was done in RODI water (didn't want to add current to salt water), 5 mins of electrocution and about 5 or 10 mins of scratching my head. Maybe longer would do? The club soda bath was about 10 minutes or so and even used a 50 ml syringe blasting any holes I could find.

After catching 4 of them a while ago in another tank (with a homemade trap) I left them in a glass of tap water on the counter for 4 days, changing 50% of the water once a day, just to see how long they would survive. On the 4th day they were still alive, gave up the experiment due to smelly water, wrapped them in toilet paper and tossed in the trash.

They've killed 2 fish in the past and many snails so pardon my complete lack of respect for them living.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
What's the rock worth? Why not just toss it and cut your loses?
The cost means little to me, would definitely prefer to keep it though, the rock is about 3/4 of a soccer ball in size and has a nice shape to it. If I toss the rock, the worm wins, I don't wanna lose to a worm, too stubborn
Old 02-17-2014, 02:33 AM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

How about you put the LR in a 5 gal pail without water overnight. Maybe the worm will come out looking for water?
I like the idea or putting the rock into ro water.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:04 AM

straightrazorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to straightrazorguy

Electrocuting it won't work if it is inside the rock. Electrical charges travel on the outside of the rock only....
Old 02-17-2014, 05:39 AM

Took the rock out and let it sit in 10 cups of RO and 10 ml of coral dip (precision solutions) for 1 hour. Killed 3 bristle worms, 30 brittle stars and 50 baby snails. No Oneone Fulgida. Then shook the rock around in a bucket of NSWdropping off some more dead snails brittle stars etc, and put it back in the tank
It either didn't die and is still hiding, or died and can't flush it out, or it moved rocks overnight and wasn't in there.

Will have a look for it when the lights go out

I'd leave it out overnight or take more drastic measures like that but I want to put the rock back in and not kill off everything as the tank may not be large enough to handle a mass die off of all bacteria, algaes etc.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:29 PM

TimT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancity
I'd leave it out overnight or take more drastic measures like that but I want to put the rock back in and not kill off everything as the tank may not be large enough to handle a mass die off of all bacteria, algaes etc.
Since you soaked it in RODI water when you tried to electrocute it that will kill the algaes and bacteria. I would suspect the rock will cause a mini cycle from the die off.
Since you have already nuked the life on the rock then you can try soaking it in 50% hydrogen peroxide and 50% tankwater for an hour or more.
The easiest method is to just leave it out in the rain for a week or more. Then cycle it in a bucket for a month or so. The coralline etc will grow back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancity
The electrocution method was done in RODI water (didn't want to add current to salt water)
It is the minerals in the water that conduct electricity and not the water itself. RO/DI water is non conductive, ie conductivity or TDS = 0. I have seen people put computers(motherboard etc) in RO/DI water and run them. NEVER MIX ELECTRICITY AND SALTWATER!!!

Glad your still alive.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 02-17-2014, 07:25 PM

NickC is on a distinguished road

I know of someone else who had a problem with the worm im thinking your talking about he ended up taking the rock out and sawing it in half to remove the worm. Once he did that he found the worm and it was 3-4 feet long burrowed in the rock.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk