Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-06-2011, 07:27 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
If you're still keen on assembling the parts required to DYI a soldered array, knock yourselves out, but I'm waiting a little longer and will build either an E27 or MR16 based lighting system when the price & availability of this form factor drops in price a little more.

http://www.ledlightbulb.net/store/in...dex&cPath=4_31

http://www.dhgate.com/15w-high-power...b9aa25384.html

http://www.ledlightsworld.com/mr16-1...ight-p-99.html

I know this doesn't help solve the problems with your current LED job, but so many folks are getting caught up in this DIY LED array craze when there are easier options on the horizon.

I think your missing the point here. your first eg is 90 to 180/bulb and still are a 60 degree output so you will need a fair amount, and they come in cool, nutral and warm white.

the second eg is not practical for a fish tank as it is a 360 design so 70% of you light is going where you don't want it.

for the third eg 9 bucks each ya they will work but color is limited as they are for household track lighting and they still have a transformer.

the point of people building them there selves is

1, to save a tone of money. for 200 to 500 you can buils a system that would retail for 800 to 3000.

2, custom aplication. you can pick your lense, spacing, and color combanation.

3, features.. all the examples you showed are non dimable.. I was looking at leds for my lights down stairs and non dimable ones are 10 bucks each.. dimable ones are 30 bucks each for a 40 watt bulb replacment.

another issue you have to look at is what lind of LED are they using and you also need outdoor rated LEDs fixtures or they will burn out quite quickly. there have been sever house hold lighting products comming out laitly with cheep LEDs which use substandard methods of altering the color because it is way cheeper (like paint on the surface of the LED) this has been flaking off and causing color shifts ect.. when the people are building there fixtures they are using Cree for the most part which has way more out put than say a edison LED of the same wattage. so it not just about conveniance.

Oh and there also the "I built it myself" factor which to some is very satisfying

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.