Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 08-11-2012, 02:12 AM

pterfloth is on a distinguished road
Default Must Do Sea of Cortez Dives?

I've booked a one week dive trip to Cabo San Lucas at the end of October. Planning to dive Gordo Bank , Cabo Pulmo, marine park, and a whale shark snorkel tour. Anybody dive this area who could share their recommendations and must-do dives?
Old 08-11-2012, 02:17 AM

reef_rookie is on a distinguished road

My brother did a dive out on some mound around there. Said it was amazing! Big school (around 100) of hammer head sharks were circling the mound. And he had pictures to prove it.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:23 AM

howdy20012002 is on a distinguished road

I love diving but diving with that many hammerheads would not be for the weak hearted..yikes...
Old 08-11-2012, 02:54 AM

pterfloth is on a distinguished road

The mount with hammerheads is Gordo Banks. Definitely doing that one! I saw hammerheads in a Molokai drift dive and want to see a big school of them.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:50 AM

Nizzmo is on a distinguished road

keep your stick on the ice out there.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:31 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

I was out there in Feb and did a couple dives. Dove with Land's End charters. Pretty good guy actually, retired Navy Seal. Vis was crap, I guess they had just finished dredging some of the port in Cabo for the cruise ships so if we had 15'-20', that was considered good. We were on a cruise ship so we didn't have time to get to Gordo but he took us out to another spot about 45 min boat ride out that was pretty good. I have to find my dive log and get the name for ya. I've got a few pics too that I could post.
Another dive that was at least a bit interesting was the sand falls. Instead of seeing a water fall, it's sand that is constantly being pulled over this cliff that drops to about 200' of water, and the sand cascading down the cliff face looks like a water fall. It's pretty cool to look at for a couple minutes
Once I find my log I'll give you a couple dive sites we did...
Old 08-24-2012, 03:28 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

So the sand falls was on the North Wall. We saw tons of large Tangs, puffers and a huge school of Barracuda. We also saw a seahorse here. My first in the wild.
Our second dive was on the south side of Pelican Rock. We briefly saw a white tipped reef shark there, but the vis was terrible. Both of these dives are right in the main bay where all the traffic is. I probably wouldn't dive either of these sites again. The sand falls were kinda cool, but other than that, nothing spectacular.

Our next day out we went to Chileno Bay. It's a bit of a ride out, but pretty good topography. Lots of lobster here, green morays. Tons of little nooks and cranny's to look into if you're into that kind of diving (which I am).

2nd dive was to Santa Marie. It's a small bay on the way back from Chileno Bay. Really cool landscape. Big fingers of rock jutting out from the land into white sand bottom. Lots of rays in the sand, lots of fish. If the swells are rolling in (which they were with us) be careful if you're not comfortable with your buoyancy. Sometimes there's a bit of a current pulling you into the narrow crevices between fingers then flushing you out as the waves about reverse. It was pretty cool, but possibly unnerving for the unexperienced.

I can put up pics if you're interested...