Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Tank Build Contest #1

View Poll Results: Vote for "Best Tank"
Chaloupa's 5.5G Primary Colors Tank 48 39.34%
superduperwesman's 10G Plate coral Nano Tank 13 10.66%
sphelps 10G Intelligent Reef 41 33.61%
Rocketlily's Damsel in Zoanthidland 10g Nano 17 13.93%
noirsphynx's 10g Nano Reef 3 2.46%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2009, 04:00 AM

superduperwesman is on a distinguished road

Old 04-27-2009, 03:43 PM

Really....? 36 extra people have voted for the best tank category? I'm confused how that poll increases by 10ish over night but the most innovative only gets 1-2ish extra votes and the threads are side by side?? I get that less people might be interested in that category but that many less? Seems a tad bit weird if you ask me ahah... ok so nobody asked me but I like to think out loud.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:44 PM

I guess it does have more views....
Old 04-27-2009, 05:35 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

I just think that some people don't think the tanks are "innovative" and have chosen not to vote based on that. I think a lot of us, including myself when I still had my tank, forgot about the innovative category and concentrated more on best.. but I could be wrong!

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 04-27-2009, 05:38 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

well unfortunately the voting system has a flaw, it's pretty easy for someone to sign up multiple accounts using different IP addresses. I noticed a big jump last night and I also noticed a few new members also signed up at the same time and I also have a hard time understanding why so many people vote for the one and not the other, a few is understandable but 36? I also don't recall ever seeing a poll with so many votes. Keep in mind this wouldn't be the first time, and this time a real prize is involved so I think the threat is there.

But these are just observations I do think that if someone really is cheating they need serious help, it's just a silly contest and you've got way too much time on your hands.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post
I just think that some people don't think the tanks are "innovative" and have chosen not to vote based on that. I think a lot of us, including myself when I still had my tank, forgot about the innovative category and concentrated more on best.. but I could be wrong!
I guess... but voting on who's most innovative doesn't necessarily mean that anyone had to be cutting edge. Should still be able to vote on who did the best worst job, at the end of the day I'm not too concerned I'm just looking for excuses to bump the polls back to the top cause there is only a few days left and crying about the vote difference is a good way to do that ahaha. And in the back of my mind I know more people are inclined to vote when it's a close race... "oh I could make the difference" but hopefully that's the only thing people are inclined to do
Old 04-27-2009, 06:42 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
well unfortunately the voting system has a flaw, it's pretty easy for someone to sign up multiple accounts using different IP addresses. I noticed a big jump last night and I also noticed a few new members also signed up at the same time and I also have a hard time understanding why so many people vote for the one and not the other, a few is understandable but 36? I also don't recall ever seeing a poll with so many votes. Keep in mind this wouldn't be the first time, and this time a real prize is involved so I think the threat is there.

But these are just observations I do think that if someone really is cheating they need serious help, it's just a silly contest and you've got way too much time on your hands.
I agree there is that possibility, seen it before on other forums.. Would be hard to believe that 36 extra accounts have been made, but I guess anything is possible.

There are real prizes in the photo contest though, I suppose not of a monetary type, but a free 8x10 framed photo is still something worth winning. I'd love to get one of my pics as a winner..

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduperwesman View Post
I guess... but voting on who's most innovative doesn't necessarily mean that anyone had to be cutting edge. Should still be able to vote on who did the best worst job, at the end of the day I'm not too concerned I'm just looking for excuses to bump the polls back to the top cause there is only a few days left and crying about the vote difference is a good way to do that ahaha. And in the back of my mind I know more people are inclined to vote when it's a close race... "oh I could make the difference" but hopefully that's the only thing people are inclined to do
I did have a few PMs about the category and that they didn't think any of the tanks were "innovative" based on the definition I provided. I was straight forward and told them they are not obligated to vote. I didn't have 30+ PM's about it (thank god! haha), but if it hadn't been for your water change system (not something you see on a nano setup very often), I probably wouldn't have voted either to be honest.

You did say you were gonna kick ass in your first post in your build thread.. You are definitely doing that in the other votes. haha!

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 04-27-2009, 06:58 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I agree there is that possibility, seen it before on other forums.. Would be hard to believe that 36 extra accounts have been made, but I guess anything is possible.
I'm not sure it's that hard to believe, I don't necessarily think 36 accounts have been made but I've talked to a few people who also agree that something seems quite off.

I understand that some might not vote for both but 36 people (30% !) and yet the only person who posted why they didn't vote for both has now voted for both.

I'm not sure if it's possible but for future contests I think the best way to have public voting is to hide the results until the end.

I'm honestly not trying to cause any problems here.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:

I did have a few PMs about the category and that they didn't think any of the tanks were "innovative" based on the definition I provided. I was straight forward and told them they are not obligated to vote. I didn't have 30+ PM's about it (thank god! haha), but if it hadn't been for your water change system (not something you see on a nano setup very often), I probably wouldn't have voted either to be honest.

You did say you were gonna kick ass in your first post in your build thread.. You are definitely doing that in the other votes. haha!
ahah Nothing too special about the water change system. Lots of people have water change pumps. I just tee-d into my main pump so I didn't have to by a new one. I just like how it shoots out the bottom of the stand ahah. Like my stand is taking a pee blahaha. I thought the return coming in the overflow (which wasn't actually my idea ahah) was more innovative than the water change, same as the sump beside the tank for easy access (I'll take credit for that ) Plus part of the budget or not, the stand does bring it all together well. It accommodates my tank/sump design which I would think is something that's important for any system, but I guess we all think differently which explains the voting number difference.... kinda still doesn't totally make sense in my mind I'm surprised those people could vote for a "Best Tank" because are any of them truly the bestest tank in the whole world... oh right it's best one in the contest... wait... kinda like most innovative for the contest.

Last edited by superduperwesman; 04-27-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

I think of it like this. Anyone can answer to what flavor of ice cream they like best, but can they answer which they think is the most innovative? I think it can apply easily to many different examples. Everyone knows what they like the best, its easy however being "most innovative" makes people have to work harder to choose one. Sometimes they come up with something sometimes they don't.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.