Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Seacare Maricultured Products > Ocean Fresh Pacifica Plankton

Old 06-24-2015, 05:16 PM

TimT is on a distinguished road

I just got back into the office this morning so sorry for the tardy replies.

Thanks for the positive feedback Dustin, Rich and Jess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maron6977
So, do you make it in cube form ? Plankton & coral food ???
It helps me keep consistent at feeding time !!!
Yes, I made a couple cube trays of the coral food to try out.
Part of the reason that the plankton is so nutritious is that it is not thawed, rinsed and water added to make it into a cube tray. The plankton presently comes in 4oz, 8oz and 16oz flat packs. The coral food comes in a flat pack about a 1/4" thick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka
I would leave the alage out. Take a look at Green Lipped Mussels. When I was raising Clownfish that ingredient made a huge dfference in fecundity. If you check out health benefits of Green Lipped Mussels it's not hard to see why.
Thanks Mindy. I will be sure to look up Green Lipped Mussels and their nutritional profile. I had put the algae in to feed Tridacna clams and other molluscs. This means that the food is not just for corals so perhaps a slight name change is needed.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:32 PM

TimT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka
Take a look at Green Lipped Mussels. When I was raising Clownfish that ingredient made a huge dfference in fecundity. If you check out health benefits of Green Lipped Mussels it's not hard to see why.
I did a little googling and could not come up with a nutritional analysis for Green Lipped Mussels. I did come up with this info which is quite interesting.

From the webpage: http://www.livestrong.com/article/52...-vs-krill-oil/

Purity

Owing to their short life span and their low position in the food cycle, krill are unlikely to accumulate toxins in their body and in fact many people prefer krill oil over traditional fish oil for this reason. Although the green lip mussel also has a short life span and a low position in the food cycle, it feeds via filtering. This type of feeding involves passing large amounts of seawater through the body. Consequently, filter feeders have a tendency to accumulate toxins in their body.

Both Euphasia superba and Euphasia pacifica are considered Krill. Since Pacifica Plankton is Euphasia pacifica I don't think adding Green Lipped Mussel's is necessary, especially in light that they tend to accumulate toxins while the Pacifica Plankton do not. As an added benefit Pacifica Plankton are from BC's coastal ocean waters.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:45 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Yes that's interesting information (I didn't look at the link yet), though it doesn't mention what kind of toxins they are talking about, nor the actual levels of said toxins. It may not be significant. I'd keep looking into it if I were you. It's even used as a natural supplement for glucosamine.

SPS fanatic.