Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 09-08-2010, 06:04 AM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road
Default My Reefbrite LED's - update... 1 unit failed

Hi there,

This may be the first review for these suckers on a Canreef. I should start by saying thanks to the guys at Oceanic Corals, this was my first purchase from you guys and based on this experience it won't be the last, that spills over to to "Reef Wholesale" who shipped the lights to me directly, they arrived 4 days early!!! Really happy with the whole experience

Now, on to the lights:
My camera battery is still dead from the weekend and tomorrow is my wedding anniversary but I WILL get some pics up and posted by Friday but for now you'll have to be happy with my written first impressions. Besides, there's lots of pics of the lights out of the box already!

The fixtures I received were the 24" all white, and the 24" 50/50

So, first impressions are really good. The light strips are MUCH heavier then I thought they would be, build quality seems good they aren't some flimsy made in china contraption. The mounting brackets appear sturdy enough. No instructions were to be found with the lights but really, if you can't figure out how to hook these up you shouldn't be allowed to wander unsupervised.

The all white is quite yellow. The guys on reef central say 8500k but it looks yellower then that to me. The 50/50 seems to have a mix of a nice crisp white and a (maybe royal) blue. And WOW are they bright. I expected them to be bright but this surpasses my expectations. I had originally thought to get an all white and an all blue, but after reading some reviews on RC from a couple of people who got the all blues and really didn't like the "black light" effect I decided on the 50/50 instead. I think now, that I maybe should've gone with the all blue but time will tell I guess!

My plan for these lights is to incorporate them into a 4 bulb tek light. I am torn between trying to add them onto the sides and thus having 4 t5s and 2 led's or replacing 2 of the t5 bulbs with the LED's. Right now, replacing 2 of the T5s seems to be winning because A: it will look cleaner, B: my tank is only 12" front to back so there's not THAT much extra space to work with and C: I think I will have more then enough light with just two T5s supplementing the LED's.

I'll have to cut the reflector to get the strips in. If I massacre it correctly it will look like this:
-front-
T5- ATI AquaBlue
Reefbrite 50/50
Reefbrite All-white
T5-ATI Blue+
-Back-

I'll probably go through a half dozen or so T5 bulbs until i get the colour that I like!

Last edited by Slick Fork; 10-23-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:57 AM

Chaloupa is on a distinguished road

tagging along to see what you think..and to see pics....

Old 09-21-2010, 07:46 PM

Ok

I'm bad for promising pic's and taking weeks to deliver but life has been just crazy for me lately.

Got the LED's into the T5 fixture last night and put it up over the tank. Here are some shots of the retro...

Before:

After

My first impressions of the strips are very positive. The above shows them with an ATI pure Actinic and an ATI blue+ I think I will have to do some playing around with the t5's to get the colour I'm after... Shimmer is back , but not like MH shimmer. It's visibly different but I'm at a loss for words to describe how it's different.

The amount of light is tough to judge... The tank itself seems dimmer but stuff IN the tank seems brighter if that makes any sense? I have shadows again like I'm used to with MH's and everything looks crisp. The actinic Pop of the 50/50 is not quite as drastic as the all blues that I have seen but is still a noticeable effect.

I will try to get some pic's with them on the tank sometime soon

Cheers
Old 09-21-2010, 08:56 PM

Milad is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Milad

how much were they?
Old 09-21-2010, 11:03 PM

rstar is on a distinguished road

Tagging along, would like to see some pictures of the light over the tank!
Old 09-22-2010, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milad View Post
how much were they?
The first one was an arm, second was a leg...

I picked them up from Oceanic, here's the link. Very satisfied with the customer service throughout the purchase process.

http://www.oceaniccorals.com/store/i...wCat&catId=139

I will try to get some shots of them on the tank tomorrow night but no promises!
Old 09-22-2010, 05:42 AM

lockrookie is on a distinguished road

tagging for future retrofit.. i like it

50g custom daycare tank...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428
Old 09-22-2010, 06:58 PM

One thing the pic's don't show very well is how nicely these sit in the tek fixture. Looking at it from the side they are almost flush, sticking out less then a 1/4" from the bottom.

I will try and get some shots of the tank tonight
Old 12-05-2010, 06:27 AM

So it's been a while but in my defense I was moving...

Anyways, here's the long overdue shots over the tank

This Next one is with all the lights on, Daylight and 50/50 LED Plus the T5's

Next is T5's plus the 50/50. It's very blue, I am thinking about replacing the actinic bulb with a fiji purple. But we will see.

Finally, the 50/50 all by itself. I can't seem to get the white balance right on this one. It is purpley like that in real life but not quite THAT purple.

Overall I am very pleased with the lights so far. Keep in mind when looking at the shots that the LED's are a full foot shorter then the tank (6" on either side) so I think they do quite a good job of lighting everything up. The few Corals I do have under there seem to be faring quite well with the exception of the zoanthids and I have recently moved them as they may have been getting too much light.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:51 AM

In case anyone wanted to see the "shimmer" that the LED's produced, this little video shows it better than the photo's

This was with the T5's and the 50/50 LED on.