Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-19-2012, 11:04 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
Thanks for starting this thread Shelley. I test dkh and Ca with Api as well and Elos for mag. All 3 are low in both my tanks, I think it may be the salt, but I've been using Seachem Salinity for almost a year and never had an issue before. I do roll my bucket, even flip it everytime I mix up new water. My question is, what happens if you don't use all the water mixed up? I keep a heater and powerhead in mine all the time, I use a Brute can to mix, but don't seem to use all the water at once. Would this have an effect on these elements?
I tend to always have 5g left or so, I just leave it in the bucket until next batch. I haven't had any issues.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:56 AM

Enigma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
My question is, what happens if you don't use all the water mixed up? I keep a heater and powerhead in mine all the time, I use a Brute can to mix, but don't seem to use all the water at once. Would this have an effect on these elements?
That is a really good question.

I get a lot of calcium precipitation in my water storage container. I'm not sure about the other two.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:55 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

I tested my mixed water last night and my parameters were bang on, water was mixed 2 weeks ago. So for me, the salt is not an issue. I used the rest of what I had for a small change in my 55, mixing more water for a change on the 180 tonight.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:39 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

I hope this isn't viewed as highjacking this thread, but I have a question about the readings of the OP. If the Mg is low (which I think I remember the OP saying it was 1100) my limited understanding is that Ca and dkh may read high. Can low Mg readings cause the Ca and dkh readings to be higher than normal?
Old 06-20-2012, 03:52 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daplatapus View Post
I hope this isn't viewed as highjacking this thread, but I have a question about the readings of the OP. If the Mg is low (which I think I remember the OP saying it was 1100) my limited understanding is that Ca and dkh may read high. Can low Mg readings cause the Ca and dkh readings to be higher than normal?
Not hijacking at all . . . very interesting! This could explain my crazy numbers.

I'll try a WC when I get home to see what happens.

Edit: Wait a minute. My KH is low. That wouldn't explain the KH reading, though it would explain the calcium.