Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-17-2010, 11:52 PM

Kronk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchM View Post
I don't see how over-skimming is possible...
I agree.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:33 AM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

I've always been under the impression that overskimming is a real hazard, trace elements are easily replaced but I would be concerned about the microscopic life that gets removed through the skimmer
Old 08-18-2010, 12:50 AM

DiverDude is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Fork View Post
I've always been under the impression that overskimming is a real hazard, trace elements are easily replaced but I would be concerned about the microscopic life that gets removed through the skimmer
I'm no expert but I'd have thought that the microscopic elements would be the FIRST things to be stripped out by skimming and the heavier stuff stayed behind and would only be removed by excessive skimming....

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:57 AM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

+1 On Slick,
There is still a large amount of research to be done on the relationship between coral feeding and coral photosynthesis (And how it pertains to coral growth/ homeostasis). As skimmers remove both bad and good substances from our water to over skim could result in removing to much of that good stuff.

If your looking for a good read on the composition of skimmate here you go:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/2/aafeature

Quote:
The chemical/elemental composition of skimmate generated by an H&S 200-1260 skimmer on a 175-gallon reef tank over the course of several days or a week had some surprises. Only a minor amount of the skimmate (solid + liquid) could be attributed to organic carbon (TOC); about 29%, and most of that material was not water soluble, i.e., was not dissolved organic carbon. The majority of the recovered skimmate solid, apart from the commons ions of seawater, was CaCO3, MgCO3, and SiO2 - inorganic compounds! The origin of these species is not known with certainity, but a good case can be made that the SiO2 stems from the shells of diatoms. The CaCO3 might be derived from other planktonic microbes bearing calcium carbonate shells, or might come from calcium reactor effluent. To the extent that the solid skimmate consists of microflora, then some proportion of the insoluble organic material removed by skimming would then simply be the organic components (the "guts") of these microflora. These microflora do concentrate P, N, and C nutrients from the water column, and so their removal via skimming does constitute a means of nutrient export.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:02 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Fork View Post
I was wondering at what point do you start overskimming and how do you tell? I'm currently running a vertex in-180 ... at about 55 gallons total volume.

Any thoughts?
Imo you can't over-skim using a Vertex IN skimmer, period. You would need to use a very high-end skimmer on a very small tank.

SPS fanatic.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:54 AM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

I've never thought of the vertex as that low end. I've always been very happy with mine, especially at a third the price of the "high end" skimmer but that's another discussion...

Last edited by Slick Fork; 08-18-2010 at 02:56 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:19 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

In the series that Ocean Aquatics posted they discuss this question in part 4 http://www.lafishguys.com/88-%20prot...skimmer-04.htm

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 08-18-2010, 04:21 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Imo you can't over-skim using a Vertex IN skimmer, period. You would need to use a very high-end skimmer on a very small tank.
I paid $1300 for my Vertex. It better be high end.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:22 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Imo Vertex IN series would be comparable with EuroReef RS series in performance, but not build quality (where EuroReef RS takes the cake in this comparison). If only performance is taken into consideration, I would put both EuroReef RS and Vertex IN as mid-range quality. It is true you will pay a significantly higher price for a high-end skimmer. I have a EuroReef RS-180 on my 90, and although it does a good job I wouldn't go exclaiming its brilliance.

One thing many people don't consider when choosing a skimmer is the volume the manufacturer suggests for the skimmer is usually anything from a bit to a lot optimistic. The reefer's expectations also play a role in what the skimmer is capable of. For example, if someone is replacing their Remora with a Vertex IN he is going to think the Vertex is the cat's meow, but take someone who is replacing their Bubble King with a Vertex IN and he may be disappointed. In the end, it is all relative, but that's beyond the focus of your question (I think?), and in relation to the question I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

On the other hand, in my experience, I have found that most LPS and softies do better with an under-performing skimmer or even skimmer-less setup.

--------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
Read my post closer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka
Imo you can't over-skim using a Vertex IN skimmer, period.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 08-18-2010 at 04:26 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:24 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
I don't believe Myka is grouping the Vertex IN and the Vertex Alpha Cones together.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour