Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-04-2013, 03:14 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

as others have said, it is definitely NOT toasted. It clearly has flesh on it. Polyps even. This means it can still feed and photosynthesize so it's definitely not dead (yet). It is likely just stressed either due to improper (or just different from what it's used to) chemistry or lighting. The browned out portion may NEVER colour up, but once it gets established its new growth should have its original colour in it.

Here's a blue stag that I got last year. It was a beauitful blue when I brought it home. Then it completely browned out within a week. You can clearly see how nasty brown it was. Kinda like yours. But it wasn't dead. It was brown and didn't grow much for nearly 9 months. But it wasn't dead. Then finally it started to throw up new growth. As you can see here, it's new growth is a nice blue that was its original colour. It continues to grow new blue branches while its base remains brown.

Anyway, this is very common with all SPS in general.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:59 PM

Magickiwi is on a distinguished road

Thank you everyone for your input. I'm glad to know that it is not dead and that it is continuing to grow. I've moved it up to the highest rock in my system, so if it's a light issue that's the best I can do for it. I'm taking steps to reduce my phosphates as quickly as I can without damaging the livestock.

Hopefully it will come back better than ever
Old 11-07-2013, 01:39 AM

Magickiwi is on a distinguished road

Who said it might be light? I moved it to the point where only one half is getting intense light from right under the bulb and you can clearly see where half of it has recovered blue coloration. I cropped it big time, I looked like I was whoring for Canon.