Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-11-2010, 05:40 PM

rayjay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyto4life View Post
Thanks Rayjay good info

I'm using 1/2 tsp in a 1G of fertilizer but just started it with half a disc and will split the culture when it get's greener in 4 day's then bump up the fertalizer to 1 tsp hoping to go 6 days before splitting on a regular schedule

should I be aiming for 2 tsp in a 1G in the long run?

how long before I split?
What kind of fertilizer are you using? I don't use MG as the FAF f/2 is economical and doesn't have all the extras that don't get used up by the phyto, and thus getting dumped into the tank.
For f/2, I use 1ml for every 2.5L of culture but simplify it to 1ml per 2 litre bottle for my stock cultures because they will never be used in a tank, only to start new larger cultures.
The problem I have with people using MG, or with overdosing f/2 is that we can't test for expired nutrients because our colour based tests are rendered pretty well useless by the phyto colours.
If you have nutrient that is NOT used up, then it will be added to the tank when you add phyto to the tank, and that fuels nuisance algae in the tank.
For f/2, I go by the recommended dosing and find that it lasts my cultures 8 to 10 days when my density gets to 3.5 cm on the density stick and is ready for harvest.
Occasionally I find a culture going a bit lighter and will add a bit of f/2 to see if it can be salvaged. Works sometimes, but I make sure that I let it go for enough days to cover what I've added.
If you split sooner than needed, you increase the chances of a crash as I've found that the stronger the culture at any time, the less likely it is to crash. Not a guarantee though as bacteria can invade and wipe out anyway.
If I were to dose 2 teaspoons, that would be about 10ml of f/2 so it would do for 25L or approximately 5 1/2gCDN or 6 1/2gUS.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:47 PM

phyto4life is on a distinguished road

I'm using a new bottle of F.A.F liquid f/2 fertilizer

I'll stick with this over miracle grow for the same reason due to adding it directly to a reef tank and I'm only culturing 6-8G of phyto a week

my brother-in-law has a bottle of FAF liquid f/2 that is 6 months old and used once should I risk using it because it will probably be another 3 month's or so before I use up the new bottle I just bought?

do you store the liquid fertilizer in the fridge or is it ok to leave it in a cool dry place?

8-10 day's to leave culture to a density of 3.5 cm on the density stick using 1/4-1/2 tsp of liquid f/2 fertilizer

does this sound close to what I should be aiming for?

do you turn off air when you measure the density?

do you use 16 hours of light?

Last edited by phyto4life; 02-11-2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:26 AM

I light 24/7.
To measure the density I let it sit until the surface is completely motionless and I shine a 30 million candle power light on the stick and read the centimeters where I can no longer discern the spot on the stick.
Time to get to a density of 3.5 will vary with starting point and light duration and light intensity.
If the light isn't sufficient to produce the required density in about 8 days, 10 at most, I pour into another sterilized container through a 53 micron mesh and put back under the light source again.
If I don't clean out the container, any settlement can cause a crash before the culture gets to where I want it to be.
I buy mass packs that make four litres of f/2 and I store it in the refrigerator at 36°F. It has a limited shelf life according to FAF but I have gone over the limit quite a bit and many times, without any noticeable problem.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:16 PM

cool I'll put the fertilizer in the fridge and not use the old fertilizer

I'm not sure if the 1 liter I bought has a date on it. if not how long approx in the fridge would it last?

this is the unit I hooked up it has dual normal output approx 6500K-8000k but closer to 6500K plant/aquarium light from grow lux I believe

is this weak light?

the light is 3" from the container and the container's are 1G

what is the best way to clean a 53 micron screen the one I have is used, look's clean but regular water goes through really slow is this normal?

I just used regular warm tap water on full blast is this enough? or is there something to soak it in?

Last edited by phyto4life; 02-12-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:59 PM

I forget how long FAF says it's good for, I think 4 months.
However, I've had some for six months with no problem.
Lighting looks just fine if those lamps are 80w or higher output each.
(8 ft strip?)
Are those 1g US or Imperial measure, or possibly 4L glass jars?
They are great for nurseries for raising reidi seahorse fry if they are.
Where did you get them?
As for cleaning the screen, I guess it depends on what material it's made of.
I have nylon and cloth types. The cloth I put in bleach water for about 10 minutes and then rinse well, the nylon one I put in vinegar for 10 minutes, rinse, put in bleach a couple of minutes, and then rinse well.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:26 AM

the culture container's are plastic 1G U.S from walmart for $4 only thing about them I find is there is a slight grove on one side so a person can pick them up on the sides but seems ok so far no trapped large bubbles or anything besides really small micro bubbles that seem to vanish every once and a while

the light's are 40 watt 4" normal output

this is the screen it feel's like nylon:

what kind of bleach? from where?

when I go to clean the plastic containers/plastic pails/spoons etc what should I use to clean/sanitize it?

the culture water:

I'm using rodi and boiling the water after wards is the boiling necessary?
is there anything else to be done before hand
Old 02-13-2010, 01:58 PM

Too bad on the bottles as I would like to have more than the 12 glass ones I have now.
Where in Walmart were the plastic ones?

Your mesh may not be clogged but because it is so fine it sometimes doesn't allow water to flow easy, right off the bat.
I usually run warm tap water over the bottom and run my fingers over the mesh to "tin" it. This allows water to make better contact with the fine mesh so that it will flow through better.
It won't take much large particle phyto to plug it up though, and running your finger over the bottom of the mesh when it slows up, can help to get it flowing a little better again. Finger has to be clean and sterile if you're doing it with phyto that you intend to continue culturing, but not if you are just harvesting to use.
I do a ten minute bleach every once in a while if I can see a build up on the mesh.
I use the cheap bleach I buy at Walmart in the 5L container, with no additives or perfumes.
To sterilize the equipment, I use IO pails with tap water and about a cup of bleach in them, and let the equipment sit in it at least overnight.
As for culture water, that depends on who is doing it, the quality of the water or just personal preference.
I use tap water and no longer sterilize the culture water but grow more of it to compensate for the crashes. (it's a hassle to sterilize very large volumes)
However, I keep 4 two litre bottles of culture stock solution that I do sterilize the water as I described earlier, with 8 to 10 drops of bleach in a two litre bottle and let sit for a day before neutralizing the bleach with ClorAm-X.
For both my stock and my using cultures, I like now to only harvest one half the culture and replace half new water as I find fewer crashes which makes up for not harvesting as much.
There are a lot of ways people grow phyto and my way works for me but I don't say it's the best or that it is the right way for you.
It started much different but over the years I change methods as I increased the volumes and got older and lazier.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:50 PM

I got the containers from the tupperware section in walmart

thanks for all the help. the phyto seem's to be coming along nicely

Last edited by phyto4life; 02-13-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:12 PM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

There is a good podcast of growing phyto and rotti over on talkingreef.com
Old 02-13-2010, 11:07 PM

thanks, I just checked it out, there is a good podcast on there to about harpacticoids