Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 10-22-2013, 06:00 AM
Jedi Master Reefer

Wheelman76 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
Hey Greg what page is it where you've set up your quarantine tank? Is it plugged in to your main system or is it seperate? I've dug an old tank out of my junk pile and will now be using a quarantine for future fish purchases. Nice fish you've grabbed. I was reading about you feeding more etc and your coral growth. I took my filter socks off line last Jan. My corals took right off since. If your not using them for micro bubbbles it might also help in their growth as well.
If you have your quarantine plumbed into your main system ,then there wouldn't really be any point in quarantining , as you would risk introducing any possible disease into the main system.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:12 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelman76 View Post
If you have your quarantine plumbed into your main system ,then there wouldn't really be any point in quarantining , as you would risk introducing any possible disease into the main system.
Yes thanks i'm aware of that. I was just curious as I was wondering where that hose went from his internal pump.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:23 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Hey Greg,

Can you comment more on your green cyano? Do you have any more photos? Was it ever kind of neon-y in colour?

Nice new additions! Your tank is looking really good regardless of the cyano.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:45 PM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by michika View Post
Hey Greg,

Can you comment more on your green cyano? Do you have any more photos? Was it ever kind of neon-y in colour?

Nice new additions! Your tank is looking really good regardless of the cyano.
Thank you

No more pics at this time
It was a light neon green on the sand, as well as some light red. It was never thick in the DT but held tons of bubbles
The stuff I scraped out of the 'fuge was the thick slimy red stuff

I upped my GFO back to the normal amount and siphoned the cyano from the sandbed, as well as removed it all from the 'fuge
That was a week ago Friday
The 'fuge is still clear and the sand is only barely 'infected'

I do believe it started because I was trying to saturate the tank with food for the corals, and I let my PO4 get too high
Old 10-22-2013, 03:14 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Good to know its 'beatable'. I've been dealing with it since the flood, I can barely stay ahead of it. I am still kicking myself that 3 missed water changes could have such a long standing impact.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:34 PM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys. I'm very happy with our new fish

Bill, the QT is on page 15 and is totally separate, but is now connected to my RKE instead of a separate RKL. It has it's own ATO as well

If we're thinking the same hose that goes up, that's for the 'fuge. That pump is now in the skimmer chamber so it's unfiltered
If you're looking at the black hose that goes left, that's for the UV/Chiller circuit

I've thought about removing my socks but still have to ponder the arguements before I make a choice
Old 10-22-2013, 02:39 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelman76 View Post
I think that there are different levels of quarantining. Some QT systems are completely separate and disconnected from the main system. This method would be for treatments, etc. However, I have in fact seen QT systems that were attached to the main display. The point of a QT system that is attached to the main display would be to simply house a new fish and adapt them to tank conditions slowly. This allows them time to recover from shipping/moving without the added stress of being picked on by the established tank inhabitants. In this way you're kinda giving them their own room and time to adjust. This would also be a good time to adapt them to any foods that they might not otherwise be accustomed to. Certainly though, as you said, this method of QT'ing does not eliminate your risk of introducing disease into your tank, nevertheless it does serve a purpose.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:23 AM
Jedi Master Reefer

Looks great Greg!!!
Old 12-11-2014, 06:14 AM
Jedi Master Reefer

Try some terra cotta (clay) pots. I break them in half , or odd shapes depending how they break and build a little reef structure out of them. Seems a little more natural looking then the PVC and it seems to help the fish feel a little safer in qt.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:00 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

I almost always have a tang (or 8) in my reef tanks and [knock on wood] haven't had an issue with GHA in years. Hope I didn't just jinx myself. I probably feed a lot more than you Greg.

Anthony