Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 04-25-2010, 08:51 PM

blacknife is on a distinguished road

All projects got derailed by going on a week of storm callout down south the next day.

Came back and my new/used lights were in the post office. 6 bulb nova extreme. they look great and i swear i can see growth on some of the sps after a week of having them.

15g addon is on lights off and all it is housing is the tube anenome, gorilla crab, and a hermit. it had the softies, some lr and the cheato in it with standard flourescents but it seemed to just want to grow cyano and diatoms. the sandbed is black in it and i am not sure what to do. might just take it offline, rebuild the stand and put one of the bigger tanks there. might just leave things the same.

Main tank looks good same small little patches of HA but its not spreading at all and i can deal with that. If the "easier" sps that are in there keep doing good i might have to try a couple little harder ones.

I want to setup the other tanks as either an addon or separate. I was thinking all the low light corals could go in the other tank. I would like the ease of having a common sump but wondering if the long term health of some of the hard corals would be better if i left the softies in a separate tank instead of just using carbon.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:07 PM

TheKid is on a distinguished road

You are really dedicated, good job!

~*~*Stefan*~*~
Formally known as Svaningen
35 gallon Red Sea Max
Only 16 years old!!!!
CALL AFTER 3:00 ON WEEKDAYS. 604 782 3313
Old 10-26-2010, 11:51 AM

I guess its time to start dipping. I have seen 2 interesting critters in my tank the last few days that i have never seen before.

The first one a whitish flat free swimming ribbon, about 3/4 inch long and 1/32 or less wide, attracted to the flashlight as i looked in my tank the other night.. followed it around the tank once.. thought what was that.. lost it.. watched for 15 mins then saw it again.. found something to trap it with then did not see it for a while.. saw it and missed the trap attempt then decided it was well past my bedtime.

Last night i saw a small clear object in my fugue. shaped like a classic star trek communicator with a heart or something in the middle. I am thinking some kind of flatworm but I have not looked it up yet.

all this was prompted by noticing the pump to my fugue was not working and my reactors have not been hooked up for a couple days. My ato was kicking in regularly and can barely keep up to the evap, I swore it was leaking but i looked all over the tank and discovered that while re-plumbinng the fugue and reactors I must have bumped the return line because now it has a slow drip<not even a cup over night so i am safe for a bit> unfortunately last time i re-plumbed it i could not put a valve in between the sump and the pump so now instead of a simple fix its going to be re-plumb the whole return line. but thats ok.. its all fancy with a manifold on it im not using any more i think it will be going straight into the tank for now.

the sad part is i think the fugue was just not flowing cuz the cheap vinyl tubing had pinched.

To add to the troubles my kitchen sink drain is not working. the same one i plumed my laundry machine into. i got home early from work went to put in laundry. the girl was doing the dishes and the laundry machine was full of dishwater. laundry machine is back in the drain for the house for now. 15 ft snake ran into some junk but did not clear the problem so i went and got a 25 ft snake..which did not clear the problem either. every other drain in the house works and it is only 15-20 feet to the main drains in the middle of the house so im not sure whats going on. time to call a plumber i guess.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:55 PM

meh.. nothing spectacular going on. still have the slime/sludge algee.

grabbed some biopelets on the drive home last night.. started them up today. got a new phosphate test kit yesterday too. elos, tested higher than 0, but lower than 1 could not decide if it was lighter or darker than the .5 . At least thats better than the no change ever i used to get with my last kit. Still need a new nitrate test kit since that one keeps testing at 0 too.
last dosage of prodibio goes in tomorrow, ill have to see if things kick up a little extra with the pellets in there and decide if i will stick with that or not.

Corals are looking .. so so.. most of my lps are thriving. zoo's are mostly doing ok<i see some more than others> sps frags .. some are holding their color still and some are looking worse. I will try to take a few pictures this afternoon since i have time today.

Last edited by blacknife; 11-04-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:48 AM

Default the dreaded phone call.

so its night 2 of working on the road "temporarily" till there is work in my area again and bam call from the wife

"there is water all over the floor and i don't know where its coming from."

<yelling and screaming from both partys ensues>

turns out my largest hermit crab somehow got past the pad that covers the over flow and decided to try to crawl into the return and block it off completely.

this tank has scared me before with its single return.

so i guess i am on the market for a new tank. I have a 75 lined up in calgary that is 36x18x24 so will fit right where this 40b is. i wanted to keep the 40 plumbed in but i think it will have to be re-drilled for safety if i do that. problem is i don't go to calgary often.

also gonna have to get the girlfriend to somehow pay more attention to what i do to the tank. i had her all talked through how to make it do good for the week to 10 days ill be gone this time but that did not include another bought of water all over the floor. this happened a few weeks after getting this tank originally.

The salinity is down a little 1.021 from 1.026 but i think she can handle slowly brining that back up. I think that was the first time she checked that ever.

ugh

at least i don't have to make an emergency drive the 3 hours home and three hours back to work.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:27 AM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknife View Post
so its night 2 of working on the road "temporarily" till there is work in my area again and bam call from the wife

"there is water all over the floor and i don't know where its coming from."

<yelling and screaming from both partys ensues>

turns out my largest hermit crab somehow got past the pad that covers the over flow and decided to try to crawl into the return and block it off completely.

this tank has scared me before with its single return.

so i guess i am on the market for a new tank. I have a 75 lined up in calgary that is 36x18x24 so will fit right where this 40b is. i wanted to keep the 40 plumbed in but i think it will have to be re-drilled for safety if i do that. problem is i don't go to calgary often.

also gonna have to get the girlfriend to somehow pay more attention to what i do to the tank. i had her all talked through how to make it do good for the week to 10 days ill be gone this time but that did not include another bought of water all over the floor. this happened a few weeks after getting this tank originally.

The salinity is down a little 1.021 from 1.026 but i think she can handle slowly brining that back up. I think that was the first time she checked that ever.

ugh

at least i don't have to make an emergency drive the 3 hours home and three hours back to work.

sorry to hear about your issues, though on your new tank install a beananimal overflow...three drains off of a coast to coast overflow. the thing is amazing and runs mega quiet. google it and you will see for yourself

also in your display you may want to consider a float switch to turn off the return once the display water gets over a certain height. Safety first my friend
Old 11-10-2010, 02:41 AM

I am familiar and a fan of the bean, might not be on this next tank but perhaps the one after.

never thought of a float switch on the return. will have to hook that up asap heh

that.. and water on floor switches and other great controller options ..

must make money to spend it on fish tank... ... ...
Old 11-05-2011, 02:15 AM

I have also decided i do not like the look of my t5s on my main tank, beside the mh on the frag tank, still undecided on leds, but no upgradess till long after this next chittlin pops out next week.

Last edited by blacknife; 11-05-2011 at 02:43 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:53 AM

"Why is the dead fish on the floor daddy"

What fish buddy

"The dead one from in the rock on the floor"

Mmmmm dried blennie yum yum

Sigh
Old 12-24-2011, 03:55 AM

phosphates 0.00 by hanna.. .wtf thats a first...

must be all that dammed algaee that grew last week.