Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 11-23-2011, 10:40 PM

Nano is on a distinguished road
Default How Long should I treat Ich?

I have as some of you may know, a Ocellaris, that had/has ich, I have been treating him for 2 weeks come saturday, first with ich attck and now with.. I cant remember the name I got it from red coral edmonton. anyways he hasn't had an outbreak since saturday, I'm wondering if this saturday or sunday is too soon to stop treating and add a fish? or should I wait? or could I add a fish and continue treating the tank to take care of any possible ich the new fish could be carrying as well?
Old 11-23-2011, 10:58 PM

Blom is on a distinguished road

Waiting never hurts

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/...ths-facts.html

28G JBJ Cube Last Tank

Seriously shopping around for a new tank

Last edited by Blom; 11-23-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blom View Post
Waiting never hurts
lol true. well maybe next weekend, we'll see. he's sure got a good appetite for a sick fish haha so thats good
Old 11-25-2011, 06:26 AM

shiver905 is on a distinguished road

Only method I trust is HYPO Salinity.
Make shure you have a refractometer!.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:17 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

If you treated with supposably reef safe product, then there is a very good chance your fish still carry ick. None of these reef safe med are really efficient. If you would have done a Cupramine treatement for 2 weeks I would say yes but not with that snake oil. Not sure what you used next so can't reply to this.

Fish must be in quarantine 4 weeks after the last sign of ick and it is not guaranteed that it is ich free without proper treatment, even if you don't see it. ich come and go, it is part of a cycle. It might be lower level now only to come back with a vengence and kill your fish that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanomano View Post
I have as some of you may know, a Ocellaris, that had/has ich, I have been treating him for 2 weeks come saturday, first with ich attck and now with.. I cant remember the name I got it from red coral edmonton. anyways he hasn't had an outbreak since saturday, I'm wondering if this saturday or sunday is too soon to stop treating and add a fish? or should I wait? or could I add a fish and continue treating the tank to take care of any possible ich the new fish could be carrying as well?
Old 11-25-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d View Post
If you treated with supposably reef safe product, then there is a very good chance your fish still carry ick. None of these reef safe med are really efficient. If you would have done a Cupramine treatement for 2 weeks I would say yes but not with that snake oil. Not sure what you used next so can't reply to this.

Fish must be in quarantine 4 weeks after the last sign of ick and it is not guaranteed that it is ich free without proper treatment, even if you don't see it. ich come and go, it is part of a cycle. It might be lower level now only to come back with a vengence and kill your fish that time.
The treatment I switched to is herbtana microbe lift.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:56 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Personally, in my 18 yrs of reef keeping I have yet to lose a fish to Ich. Then you read other people's accounts and they lose half a tank or a whole tank full of fish to Ich. What's the difference? I really don't know.

I agree with Daniella that reef-safe Ich products are essentially a joke and not very effective.

I also refuse to treat a fish with Cupramine. The damaging dose compared to the treatment dose is way too close in my opinion, and the damage it can cause is irreversible and partially unknown. When freshwater dips and hyposalinity can achieve the same results, why medicate?

SPS fanatic.