Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 01-25-2009, 06:31 PM

moldrik is on a distinguished road
Default Sand sifting goby

Hey guys,

I got a dillema. My tank was getting some algea grow, so I figured I'd pickup a sand sifting goby. This guy is awesome, he is super active, always moving sand around and sifts the sand bed like no other...

However, now the tank has this slightly fog all around it, constantly. My rocks were really nicely purple with a bunch of coraline growth, now they have this white film on it almost from sand particles. Not only that, but I've had to move some mushrooms higher up in the tank so that they don't get completely covered by sand.

Is there anything that can be done about the cloudy situation? If I were to put something on the power heads to collect the sand that is being blown around? Is this a constant problem with sand sifting gobies?

I've had some bad luck with the arrow crab before, and now the sand sifting goby. Both were ideas that seemed good at the time and now they are bringing me some concern.

Who has a sand sifting goby and how do you deal with it?
Old 01-25-2009, 07:04 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

I have two orange spotted sleeper gobies who do an invaluable job of keeping my sand bed clean. They drive me nuts by depositing sand where I don't like, and the water is never as clear as it could be.

That's how it is. You can't have everything. I would rather have that than go back to trying to clean my sand bed every day.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 01-25-2009, 07:39 PM

MikeP is on a distinguished road

I've had a couple in the past (they are know to jump so I hope you have a lid, my last one made it through my eggcrate cover). The cloudiness in my tank was really bad for several weeks after I put the first one in, but then it cleared up. I turned up the flow so water was moving a little faster through my sump/fuge and did weekly water changes and I think that helped clear up the water a little faster.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:14 PM

spoot is on a distinguished road

I have a Valenciennea strigata, yellow head sleeper goby, which is suppose to be a very good sand sifter. Mine only sifts in certain places, and leaves most of the sand alone. I think the orange spotted may be better.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:50 PM

new but handy is on a distinguished road

I have the same yellow head sifter. The little dirt bag used to sift the sand close to the bottem in the corner. I.E. away from everything. Now he sifts all over the entire tank and he enjoys taking a mouthfull of sand up into the jetstream. I'm pretty sure he likes to watch me turkey baste everything off
Old 01-26-2009, 03:20 AM

moldrik is on a distinguished road

I'll see how I deal with the little bugger. I think if I had a bigger tank it wouldn't be a problem but this guy is just full of energy. I find it really enjoyable to watch him go about his business though.