Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-11-2011, 06:22 PM

superduperwesman is on a distinguished road
Default 43 Gallon Desk Tank

To be honest it's been quite some time since I've visited canreef. Things have been so busy with work, building my garage, developing my basement but it actually looks like I'm into a bit of a lull now so I've decided to plan my new tank.

We're currently developing our basement (currently being mudded, decided to hire that out) and I had a nice little spot picked out for a 6" fish tank but as it turns out... my wife has decided that she'd like the entire office for her craftroom. As such, I'm in need of a place to keep a lot of my office type stuff and somewhere to toss down the laptop so I've had to reassess the tank situation.

I want somewhere to keep a lot of stuff that currently has no home (camera equipment, filling, etc.) so I've decided to basically half my tank size.

I think I'm going to set up a space ion the downstairs hall way similar to what's in a show home near our house:

And instead of doing a 6' tank I'll do a 36" x ~24" x ~14" (12.5" water height)
so it'll end up something like this:

So that'll put me at ~ 43 gallons vs the ~86 that I had originally planned by using the entire area for tank.

However, I'm not sure if this is the best idea. I need desk / storage space but I really do want a tank that I can keep some tangs in. This means one of two things.. I'll get sick of the tank because it's not what I want or I'll put tangs in it anyway.

They nice thing about this location is that right behind the back wall is under the stairs which can be used as a fish room. I already installed a laundry sink during the development and have room for a frag tank, sump, mixing jugs etc.

So what do you think? I want to give my wife the office so that in return she lets me run with the tank a bit (she gets her hobby so I get mine) but I still need office type space.