Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-06-2011, 10:45 PM

cathyg_99 is on a distinguished road
Default HOW DO U KEEP YOUR TANK COOL?

How do you keep your tank cool in the summer? our house gets hot in the summer and this will be the first year we have a reef in the basement, any suggestions on how to keep it cool??

were considering a portable air con for the room its in, but if i can get away with no air conditioning it would be better (its a starter house and we want to put like NO MONEY into it)
Old 06-06-2011, 10:50 PM

freezetyle is on a distinguished road

cheap way is to have a fan blowing over the top. your evaporation will be increased but it keeps the temps down
Old 06-06-2011, 11:32 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

A fan and of course AC in the house, not only for the aquarium but our own comfort.

I don't think you can get away without an AC unless you use a chiller and those are around 300$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyg_99 View Post
How do you keep your tank cool in the summer? our house gets hot in the summer and this will be the first year we have a reef in the basement, any suggestions on how to keep it cool??

were considering a portable air con for the room its in, but if i can get away with no air conditioning it would be better (its a starter house and we want to put like NO MONEY into it)
Old 06-07-2011, 12:00 AM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d View Post
A fan and of course AC in the house, not only for the aquarium but our own comfort.

I don't think you can get away without an AC unless you use a chiller and those are around 300$.
+1

get one of those window unit a/c's and put it in the same room as the tank. A fan will drop the temp a few degrees as well but your EVAP is going to be up there.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:05 AM

marie is on a distinguished road

Portable air conditioner is the only way to go and it doesn't matter if it's just a starter house, the air conditioner goes with you when you move

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 06-07-2011, 12:17 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

got central air now but before just a couple of small muffin fans (on a controller) blowing on the sump and a venting the hood kept temperatures in-check. Only negative was 2-3g/day evaporation but then have an ATO so not that big on deal.

Amazing how well evap cooling works.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:13 AM

Lance is on a distinguished road

With A/C and fans blowing on the water surface, I never have a problem.

Another thing you can try is changing your photo period so that the lights are off during the hotter part of the days.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:24 AM

piusma is on a distinguished road

I have a fan blowing and a titanium coil in my sump, the water runs from my cold water line into my RODI filter system. The solenoid is controlled by my AC3 controller and it lowers my tank's temperature and increases my RODI output.

In the winter time, less evaporation and the water output is less and in the summer I have more evaporation from the fan blowing but matched up with higher water output. It's cheaper than running a chiller and I have to replace the solenoid every 12 months or so but that's only $30 and no energy consumption.

However, this needed to be well planned out or you'll have more trouble dealing with floods!

Steven
Old 06-07-2011, 01:29 AM

Palmer is on a distinguished road

I have my 120 G with 2x 250W Metal Halides and T5 in the basement (which of course is cooler to begin with) and I use nothing to cool the tank. My temp fluctuates from 78-81 (Max) and thats it. I have found that having a halide free period for an hour in the middle of the day allows the tank to cool down slightly and has actually helped.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:29 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

i have a $10 clip on fan from walmart over the sump, and pieced together a 4 fan system with monitor for the hood for under $200 (all computer stuff)
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.