Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Coral Master

Old 01-22-2011, 03:23 AM

Snappy is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up LED Lights -- WOW!

Just got in a demo REEF BRITE - LED light today and all I can say is WOW! This product is really a well made unit of superior quality. Come see why REEF BRITE & CORAL MASTER are your best lighting solution. Check out what these 3 watts per bulb units can do for your tank. Can be used as a supplemental light source or as the main lighting for any kind of coral or tank size. If you're thinking of getting new lighting - do yourself a favour and don't commit to anything until you've seen how bright & sleek these units are. You have to see it to believe it. Come check it out!

Greg
Old 01-22-2011, 03:45 AM

Cranky When Wet is on a distinguished road

What? Finally!!! What do they look like and how much?

Bunny >:-)
Old 01-22-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky When Wet View Post
What? Finally!!! What do they look like and how much?

Bunny >:-)
They are great looking fixtures, easy to mount and available in white, blue or 50/50. Prices vary depending (of course) on the sizes which range from single moon-lights right up to 48". Please contact me and we can go over a package that will be tailored to your tank & requirements.
Thanks for your interest.

Greg
Old 01-22-2011, 01:35 PM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

Greg - there's been lots of talk about LEDs lately. Do you have any plans to change out the lighting on your tank. Would you trust these lights on your tank? Maybe for your frag tanks?

Is there any Par data available for these lights?
Old 01-22-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcha0s View Post
Greg - there's been lots of talk about LEDs lately. Do you have any plans to change out the lighting on your tank. Would you trust these lights on your tank? Maybe for your frag tanks?

Is there any Par data available for these lights?
I hope to eventually change my entire system out to LED. I can tell you that I would trust these lights, my wholesaler has them over their tanks with very good results.

I am trying to get PAR data from the manufacturer so when I get the info I will share it here in the Coral Master forum.

Greg

Last edited by Snappy; 01-23-2011 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:01 PM

Question Is it possible to install in tandem with TEK fixture?

Must say I'm less concerned with par values because I'd like to use moonlighting to supplement day/night cycle as well as bring out the wow factor in my Ultra Acans.

I'm of the opinion that LED par value has steadily increased over the past year to the point where I feel it won't be long before the lighting market will change significantly. Not sure whether MHs will ever be replaced but I'm confident enough with my own experience to consider LEDs very worthwhile to complement conventional lighting beautifully.

I've been using two CurrentUSA strip LEDS (one actinic and one white with four, one watt bulbs in each) on one of my nanos (a Fluval edge no less) along with a "Daylight" 18w, 6500K lamp by Lights of America (TM). The original lights from the Fluval Edge tank kit were tossed eight months ago and never replaced. I jammed a TammRio skimmer in place of the original filter as well. Bottom line: my zoa's, mushrooms and LPS corals are happy, growing and healthy with this simple configuration for roughly fourteen months now.

Now I'm curious to know if and how I could install these new LED lights of yours along with the TEK fixture I've got.

My next tank is 75gals and I'm using a 36", 6bulb TEK system (one end of this tank will have a BM150pro built into it with two other compartments to "emulate" a giant "biocube." I'm doing it this way because plumbing is not my forte so this design suits my "flood-comfort" zone LOL!

Do you think I could mount one of these LED strips as well as my TEK light? Would the TEK fry the other or overheat it? I suppose I could use one for moon lights so the width of the unit shouldn't interfere with daylight bulbs from TEK unit... hmmm?

I'm hoping to arrange everything so the tank could be viewed from three sides as well so it would be good to know the spread of these new setups too.

Any advice, ideas, or thoughts?

Bunny
Old 01-23-2011, 03:40 AM

tparsons is on a distinguished road

There is a couple different ways to mount the Reefbrite LEDs on Tek fixtures.

1) You can screw them into the side of your Tek fixture with self-tapping screws.
2) take the endcaps off your Tek, mark the holes, drill holes in the Tek, and then
a) use some nuts and bolts to attach the LED strips
b) use a rivet to hold them in place

Otherwise, Reef Brite has actually made a mounting bracket with 3 or 5 holes, if you are just mounting the strips and not attaching them to anything else.

As for Par, independent testing is showing anywhere between 2-4 times the PAR output of T5 lighting. We have heard 2 x the output of the ATI Blue Plus running in the ATI powermodule, but we have also heard of up to 4 x the output of other T5's running in other fixtures.
I am sure age of the T5 lamps as well the type of fixture they are running in , accounts for these large discrepencies. However, at a minimum of 2 x the output, it is still really good.

We run one of our LPS coral beds exclusively with a mix of the ReefBrite 50/50's and actinic and we have been seeing some great colouration and growth over the past few months.

Lots of discussion on these lights in this thread;
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66116
Old 01-23-2011, 05:51 PM

Default Thank you for how-to directions... Much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tparsons View Post
There is a couple different ways to mount the Reefbrite LEDs on Tek fixtures.

1) You can screw them into the side of your Tek fixture with self-tapping screws.
2) take the endcaps off your Tek, mark the holes, drill holes in the Tek, and then
a) use some nuts and bolts to attach the LED strips
b) use a rivet to hold them in place

Otherwise, Reef Brite has actually made a mounting bracket with 3 or 5 holes, if you are just mounting the strips and not attaching them to anything else.

As for Par, independent testing is showing anywhere between 2-4 times the PAR output of T5 lighting. We have heard 2 x the output of the ATI Blue Plus running in the ATI powermodule, but we have also heard of up to 4 x the output of other T5's running in other fixtures.
I am sure age of the T5 lamps as well the type of fixture they are running in , accounts for these large discrepencies. However, at a minimum of 2 x the output, it is still really good.

We run one of our LPS coral beds exclusively with a mix of the ReefBrite 50/50's and actinic and we have been seeing some great colouration and growth over the past few months.

Lots of discussion on these lights in this thread;
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66116
Hi T (Trina?) Parsons!

And thank you for clear explanation about mounting these strips. I would love to be able to have some SPS as well as my beloved LPS corals

I will talk with Snappy about them for sure.

Where are you guys in Ottawa? I used to live there three decades ago (oh heck, I said that out loud).

Regards from Calgary,

Bunny

p.s. I did read that thread and found it informative as well>:-) Looks like the dawning of a new Light age for reefers! Yaaay!
Old 01-23-2011, 06:39 PM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

I've got the reefbrites mounted in a tek light on my tank.

Here's the thread with the installation... looks very slick
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67874

I just added some SPS a couple of weeks ago, you can follow the progress (and future growth under the reef-brites) in my build thread here:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65983

Overall I'm very happy with the lights. In hindsight I might not've gotten the 50/50 and instead just picked up an all blue and all white. But it's tough to say without seeing the various combinations firsthand.

I like having the T5's integrated with the light so I can change the colour inexpensively and add spectrums that I wouldn't see with strictly LED's
Old 01-23-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Fork View Post
I've got the reefbrites mounted in a tek light on my tank.

Here's the thread with the installation... looks very slick
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67874

I just added some SPS a couple of weeks ago, you can follow the progress (and future growth under the reef-brites) in my build thread here:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65983

Overall I'm very happy with the lights. In hindsight I might not've gotten the 50/50 and instead just picked up an all blue and all white. But it's tough to say without seeing the various combinations firsthand.

I like having the T5's integrated with the light so I can change the colour inexpensively and add spectrums that I wouldn't see with strictly LED's
Wow! The threads are great and I'm learning tons! Even this newbie Bunny could do it unsupervised (maybe) LOL!!! Thanks for linking me/us up!

Bunny