Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-13-2011, 03:43 AM

GMGQ is on a distinguished road
Default CA reactor or Dosing?

I currently have a calcium reactor setup (reactor, CO2 cylinder w/ solenoid, pH probe controller).

I'm considering getting an auto dosing system to replace all that equipment.

I want to reduce the amount of equipment, and have a more precise way of controlling calcium and alk.

PROs & CONs for each system?

TIA

2016/2017 180Gallon Build Coming Soon...
Old 02-13-2011, 02:03 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I use a reactor, because that's what I have. It works great, and I can't see any reason to get rid of it to buy more stuff. And dosing requires a lot more work than my reactor, as well as containers to hold the supplements. So dosing pump, up to three different jugs of juice and all the lines, doesn't sound like less equipment. I fill my reactor maybe twice a year, fill my CO2 tank and I'm good. I've used it for 8 years now, so for me, tweaking is pretty easy.
I think for someone just getting into it, there are two sides to consider, but if you already have a reactor, I'd just stick with it.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:56 PM

don.ald is on a distinguished road

i auto dose. never had a reactor.
LOL many times i think that i want a reactor because it may be less work?
it is work to keep the containers filled, and costly, and the dosers need to be serviced ongoing. and IMO same cost as a reactor. (i dont know what it costs for media to run a reactor?)
hey maybe we should trade?
my dosing equip for your reactor equip

Last edited by don.ald; 02-13-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:39 PM

amoreira is on a distinguished road

Cost of a Reactor:

Fixed Cost (initial equipment): $400 for the reactor + $150 for CO2 regulator (I use a beverage supplier to get the CO2 + tank).

Variable Cost: ~$50/year for the CO2 and $40 per year for the media.

Advantages of CO2 reactor:

1) After initial set-up, it's very low maintenance... Every 3 months I put in new media. Every 8 months, I call up the beverage supplier and swap out the 20 lb CO2 container.

2) Keeps alk and calcium levels balanced and stable.

3) Aragonite media contains trace elements, strontium, magnesium etc. that your corals need and at the right ratios.

4) Fancy looking set-up that you can use to impress your friends/chicks etc..

Disadvantages:

1) Initial setup can be tricky. Getting the water drip and CO2 injection rates right does require some trial and error (but so does 2 part dosing). That been said, CO2 reactors tend to give you a balanced/stable water chemistry, once set up and in steady state.

1) Media may be a source of phosphates. This is nothing GFO couldn't clean up.

2) Overdosing CO2 can cause algal bloom and pH to drop. I don't control CO2 dosing with a pH meter on the outlet of the reactor, but use a timer (9 minutes of CO2 dosing every hour). This prevents CO2 overdosing because of pH meter failure. The pH in my tank is very stable and swings between 8.1 and 8.3. I've personally never had any pH issues because of the CO2 reactor. Good lighting and a kick-rear skimmer with compensate for any pH reduction due to a properly set up skimmer.

3) Low drip rate of water through the reactor can be difficult to control. The biggest success I've had with this is using a slip stream from the outlet of my circulation pump (i.e. the pump that pumps water back to the display tank from the sump). Plugging of this flow leads to overdosing CO2 into the reactor and the media can turn to mush if this is allowed to continue for a lengthy period. I've used powerhead type pumps and have had problems with them eventually leaking current (although they're just as effective as using a slip stream). I've used Aqua Medic dosing pump and the Oscar aqua lifter pump and found neither have enough oomph and often plugged. The slip stream method worked best and I eliminated another source of current leakage in my tank.
180 gal tank, 50 gal sump, PM RFCa6 Ca Reactor, SWC Extreme 250 1A Cone Skimmer, Tunz Osmolator ATOF, Aquacontroller Apex, Aquaillumination Sol Super Blue 6 x 75w Units, Acros/Softies/LPS/Mushrooms/Zoos, Purple/Powder Blue/Yellow Tang/3xBlue Chromis/2xTomato Clown/Lawnmower Blenny

Last edited by amoreira; 02-13-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:49 PM

Rus is on a distinguished road

I have used all sorts of reactors over the years , ( from cheaper models up to $700 + Deltecs ) and had found no matter what style or model I used I was always finding I had to tweak the flowrate at least weekly if not more. Seemed like there was always something to be fiddling with. I now have been running my Dosing system on my tank for almost 6 months ( Profilux ) and I must say I can not believe I didn't switch earlier to it. It takes me 10 minutes or so once a month to make up my supplements using bulk mixes , and I'm good for the month. Once dialed in , it has been rock solid numbers every week without changing a thing , and ZERO maintenance.

By far the best change I have done in years of reef-keeping . Cost wise is very minimal I find on 400 + gal system , in comparison to ease of use. I'm guessing $10 - 15 a month at the most , which in my opinion , if that seems too much I shouldn't be running this size of tank in the first place.

HTH
Old 02-13-2011, 03:49 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Like every one so far has said. if you already have the Ca reactor setup there is realy no advantage to switching.

the reactor was explained but also a few other advantages. the main one being it takes up less room than a dosing system.

so a dosing system also has advantages,

one being the cool factor,
two bwing the ability to meter the exact amount of suplememnts you need (this can also be a disadvantage as the more stuff you want to control the more pumps you need and the more containers you need)
and three could do a neater install setup with everything remote mounted.

as for weather you should switch.. I think it would be a waist of money as you wouldn't realy gain anything out fo the switch except more work, and a tech fix.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:28 PM

Yes I find it's iffy to dial in te drip rate and bubble count, as it doesn't stay consistent. After a while the tubing would get hard and clogged so than affect drip rate.

The reactor and Co2 cylinder are big and bulky. Whereas there are triple pump dosers with buIlt in timers, so I could mount that on the wall and have 3 jugs on the floor.

As far as cost, I could sell the reactor setup and invest in dosing equipment.

Hmmmmmmm....

Old 02-13-2011, 05:57 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMGQ View Post
Yes I find it's iffy to dial in te drip rate and bubble count, as it doesn't stay consistent. After a while the tubing would get hard and clogged...
Hmmmmmmm....
Bubble rate is not significant if you are using a controller for your co2.

Add a peristaltic pump to control flow to eliminate drip rate problems. Cheaper than adding three peristaltic pumps for dosing.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 02-13-2011, 06:10 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

My setup is really easy. I have a stream coming out of the reactor, no drip rate. I run CO2 full time at a bubble per second, and control output via flow. More flow = less contact with CO2. I tweak it about every 3 months as growth rate expands, and fill it every 8 or 9 months.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:08 PM

Well I can get a triple pump doser with individual built in timers/displays for $170.

The controller turns off the CO2if the pH in the reactor gets too low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
Bubble rate is not significant if you are using a controller for your co2.

Add a peristaltic pump to control flow to eliminate drip rate problems. Cheaper than adding three peristaltic pumps for dosing.