Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia > Lower Mainland

Old 08-06-2009, 04:37 AM

LostMind is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to LostMind
Default I've been out of reef tanks for a while

Background:

I used to run a bunch of reef tanks. Cracked a big ol 320g, kinda lost my interest after that (it was never full of water, but what a colossal waste of money and effort). My Dad always loved my tanks tho...

So my Dad and I were supposed to set up a tank together for him in his condo for quite a while; years actually. I got him a bunch of the equipment but we somehow never got the tank actually running - we were both busy, I had a new baby, etc. Then, in jan of this year he passed away unexpectedly after heart surgery (we were told he was an excellent candidate with little chance of complication... death was never mentioned as a possibility really).

Now... I'm his executor and I have to go to his place often and the tank we almost had setup is sitting right there in his dining room, haunting me. Literally, it almost brings me to tears, the guilt I feel over not spending more time with him.

Long story but I think I need to setup a reef tank as a memorial to my Dad.

A couple of problems though...

* the only space my wife will like the tank is an odd shape 40" long x 23" deep. Pretty sure there aren't many reef ready tanks that fit this nicely. Meaning, I need something custom most likely.
* Due to the wife, it has to look pretty... meaning a beautiful stand mostly. If it were me, a 2x4 stand would be enough
* I'm not a great DIY guy, due mostly to lack of time... although I'm not the most gifted in that area I can get by.
* I've been out of the "scene" for a few years, not really sure what is the latest & greatest or what has actually been proven to work recently, etc. Nor do I know if there are any new custom aquarium/stand builders and so on. Of course I know JL and Ocean Aquatics are probably still the best shops for livestock - is there anything new recently?

I like sps & fish. Clams too, but not sure if I am going with sand for substrate or not. I want something relatively simple, good skimmer, good lights, good flow, low maintenance. I really do not want to bring myself to the poor house for this tank. My 10 month old daughter is sending me there soon enough, I'm sure.

Basically, I'm hoping that the Canreef community can point me in the direction of new reefkeeping tips & tricks, good deals and so on. I have patience, so this tank will likely come together slowly over the next few months.

Thanks everyone.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:50 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Hey, welcome back man!!! You bet we're here to help

J&L and Ocean Aquatics are still mainstays. Theres Aquatic Addictions out in Abbotsford as well. They post some pretty incredible coral photos. Any of those guys could certainly hook you up with a custom tank.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:00 AM

Thanks Christy!

They all have deals setup for custom tanks now? I vaguely remember Wendell used to use a guy on the island but I think that "guy" closed shop. And I always thought JL and the rest just sold standard tanks...

I think there were a few guys locally who do good tank stands as a side job kinda thing?
Old 08-06-2009, 05:25 AM

chujai is on a distinguished road

i had my old tank custom built by miracles in toronto.... 39" x 24 x 20

not sure about out here but im sure there are some makers. have you seen some of the zero edge systems? rimless and very sexy tanks ... id try to make something like that!

canreef is a pretty quite forum i find. but id defiantly check out reef central and look at whats new there in the equipment section. always new stuff being posted.

good luck! its so fun you've been missing out!
Old 08-06-2009, 06:48 AM

Yah canreef is quiet, but the people here know all the locals!

I ordered my last custom tank from Aquarium Obsessed in Ontario. Great tank but shipping sure put a big dent in my budget. Wouldn't it be nice to get a custom tank made locally and just pick it up?
Old 08-06-2009, 01:35 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I know a couple years back J&L had custom tanks made to your specifications, they just didn't advertise it. I seem to remember them being fairly pricey though.

Or...go with a standard 36" tank? That will save a lot in the budget, and you can spend it on getting a better skimmer or better lights. 36x18x16" is a 40 gallon breeder, 36x18x18" is a 50 gallon, or 36x18x24" is a 65 gallon. A few nicely shaped options out there depending whether you prefer shallow and wide or tall and narrow, or a nice one in between. This would also cut you down to a single halide, and if you put 2-4 T5 to supplement you will have a nice light distribution.

Are you going sump or not? Lots of new skimmers available in the last 3 years.

SPS fanatic.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Most of the mainland shops still use the place that was Seastar, not sure what they're called now, but it's still the same place, different owners. Wendell can surely set you up with whatever you need. Good luck with the new build!
Old 08-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

So sorry for your loss, but the tank set up in his memory is soo neat. I am sure he will be smiling down. Oh and it will be something your new little one can share, his/her little part of Grandpa.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:14 PM

Thanks guys.

Leah, that was exactly my thoughts. Not only is it a nice memorial to my dad, but the little one will have something fun (all those colours!) and educational plus I get back into a hobby I love...

About standard tank sizes, I never really thought of that. LOL. I'll have to shoot off a few emails today to see if I can find some standard size, reef ready tanks...

I will definitely have a sump, I like clean tanks with as little equipment in them as possible. Those new vortec powerheads look VERY cool.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:46 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Welcome back to the hobby.