Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-17-2011, 12:06 AM

rastaangel is on a distinguished road
Default Imperator Angel And Copperbanded Butterfly With SPS?

Long story short my tank crashed after my land lord used a massive amount of ant spray in my place and it killed everything... So now im starting over with nothing but SPS... I have always loved the imperator angels and copperbanded butterfly but knew the angel would eat my LPS and the butterfly was a risk with others..
So would I be ok with these guys in a pure SPS tank?
Old 06-17-2011, 01:41 AM

Dez is on a distinguished road

Anything is possible. To tell you the truth, once an SPS tank matures, even if the angles nips at the polyps, it won't really matter that much. I have a Goldflake angel, coral beauty, flame angel, and a majestic angel in my mostly sps tank. I'm sure one of them nips, but after the tank matures, I don't think it really matters that much. As for the copperband butterfly, I think those are fairly "safe". Again, with all angels, you take your chances. And who knows, they might just suddenly change and go ballistic on you. Hope this helps.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:16 AM

marie is on a distinguished road

I have 4 angels in my sps tank and all of them eat corals. That said, sps corals once they get used to being pecked at seem to adjust quit well. The polyps only retract for a few minutes before coming out again.

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 06-17-2011, 02:20 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

Copperband butterfly eating sps? or any coral? mine don't touch anything at all, not even my crocea clam. It is well fed though. I feed him live white worms and fresh mussels as well as mysis. I also have tons of pods crawling everywhere and he surely love the amphipods.

I have never seen my copperband even pay some attention to my coral. Watch out for the feather dusters because mine are all gone.

I think the problem with the copperband is not if it's going to eat your coral, but rather will it eat at all??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaangel View Post
Long story short my tank crashed after my land lord used a massive amount of ant spray in my place and it killed everything... So now im starting over with nothing but SPS... I have always loved the imperator angels and copperbanded butterfly but knew the angel would eat my LPS and the butterfly was a risk with others..
So would I be ok with these guys in a pure SPS tank?
Old 06-17-2011, 06:44 PM

rastaangel is on a distinguished road

Im not as worried with the copperbanded... More the angel. I was told that them emps are the best with the lowest chances and if you introduce them when there very small there is a less chance they will be coral hungry from being rasied in the tank and not developed coral eating habits in the wild
Old 06-17-2011, 07:07 PM

AHHope is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaangel View Post
Im not as worried with the copperbanded... More the angel. I was told that them emps are the best with the lowest chances and if you introduce them when there very small there is a less chance they will be coral hungry from being rasied in the tank and not developed coral eating habits in the wild
my emp was awsome will all my sps for months untill one day i came home from work and he ate/killed almost all my acros. It then proceded to teach my queen and flameback angles to do the same. It was sweet while it lasted
Old 06-17-2011, 08:11 PM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

I had a potters "angle" (hopefully someone catches on to that) and he was a model citizen. loved the little bugger. Also tried a butterfly but she didn't make it to long before my yellow tang was threatened by her presence