Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Pictures

Old 01-05-2009, 09:02 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

I think I've seen this tank at the local LFS...it appeared that the waterfall still needed some thought as it would be quick to show dirt/wear/detrius.

Otherwise, I was thinking the same thing...awesome Clam tank...but you got to put the right light over it...not the Hagen GLO on display with a single reflector for all the bulbs.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:51 AM
dstasiuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAS View Post
Just got the CO2 Reactor fired up yesterday. Now, just to get it balance out. My calcium levels are terribly low.... Im considering to continue dosing until reactor is up to snuff.... as it stands the level is holding at 250ppm. Normaly this would be gone in 24 hour period so we know the reactor is workin... just not goin up yet.
From my experience, your reactor isn't going to bring up your levels - it is a balanced ca/alk additive. You need to adjust your levels manually to where you want them, then dial in your reactor to maintain them...

There are many threads to help, but to get my reactor running correctly, I adjusted Ca to where I wanted it and then monitored every day to see if levels were holding or dropping. Then I increased my flow through the reactor until the ca levels were stable. Alk also increased a little, but it all stabilized eventually at 420 ppm cal w/alk at 9.0 dkh. Now I check them about every 4 weeks.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:45 PM

NAS is on a distinguished road

Yup.

We gotter done. I found that the reactor created a bit of a Calcium- Carbonate imbalance. The Carbonate hardness we very high when I finally got my calcium up to par.

The remedy?

Magnesium suppliment! Yup, within seconds of adding the magnesium suppliment the KH stabalized out and has been holding ever since.

All is well... Except when my kids turn off my CO2 supply... Fear not! the taser fixed that!

More pics to come.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:50 PM

As far as the Clam tank goes,

Im not sure on the tank at the store Mark.... I wonder how the waterfall will look with a generous dose of purple coraline algae. It is a ramp for the crawlies too.

Im 50-50. Still leanin toward it. But I may just set it up as a rearin tank for smaller clams if and when I attempt to spawn my big squamosa.

The Beer invite still stands...
Old 01-08-2009, 06:40 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Do you have any research etc. on clam rearing? I'll take anything you've got, from links to photos, etc. I'm assembling clam spawning and rearing information right now as a project.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:47 PM

Send me a private message. I have a fantastic contact and paper on spawing from the states. I will forward it to you. The rearing is the elsuisive part. From what I have experienced shallow water 8-10 inches to start. Circulation with little or no mechanical filtration, no skimmer at first. High calcium/ carbonate availability, light, phytoplankton, rottifiers... and .... wait.

Once you see some shell/growth start to increase depth of water and filtration... (I think, no soild info just yet). It's is rumored to take 2-3 years before you get a good Idea on the yeild.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:54 AM

michika is on a distinguished road

I'll send you a PM, however I think it would be fantastic to start a separate thread on clam propagation as well. I've been researching into and I think the more discussion we can generate the more of a benefit it can be to others.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:58 PM

Ok,

Now im in trouble.... I have just located 3 Gigas! Ultra blue. One is supposed to be over a foot! Im totally stressed out. Im trying to get them in.

Here is the trouble! I have Absolutly no space for anything else in my current clam tank. What am I to DO?

GO BIGGER! WHOOOO HOOOOOO!
Old 01-27-2009, 06:11 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

You should look at having one of the Canreef sponsors build you a Clam tank. Not much height but a lot of depth and width. It shouldn't be much if any over a standard tank that doesn't quite meet your exact "clam" needs.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:08 PM

Ok,

I have cyano bacteria in my tank. I have done this on purpose. TRUE!

It has been three days since I cleaned my tank and I have cyano bacter. that was on saturday!.

Now it's ALL GONE!

Any gueses what I did out there? yes it's a trick question that will lead to a greater question... Lets play anyways...

What did I do to my tank to make the Cyanobacteria disappear in two days?