11 - 25 per gallon 1 1.22%
26 - 50 per gallon 19 23.17%
51 - 75 per gallon 20 24.39%
75+ per gallon 38 46.34%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2014, 05:20 AM

Ulmo is on a distinguished road

~100/G here.

Last edited by Ulmo; 11-25-2014 at 05:23 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:37 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Likely I would get hosed by my insurance company who would offer me 20% on the dollar and need to buy used. The used items wouldn't come up fast enough and I'd get sucked in by a Groupon offering a great deal on an all inclusive in Tahiti. Buh-bye!

I think regardless, I'd be out of the hobby. I don't even want to think about what it would cost to replace my stuff, probably not as much as I'm thinking but still, it scares me to crunch the numbers so I'll just guess. I dont' even know what the retail prices are of half my stuff its so old (does anyone even sell Aquatronica anymore??)

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:10 PM

CM125 is on a distinguished road

Im about $40 per gallon, but we just finished our move so livestock is low
Old 11-25-2014, 11:03 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

well 14 years ago it was about 50/gal average, so it is probably gone up a bit.

I think what we have to remember is replacing what you have is cheaper than building what you have the first time. when I built my 90 gal I spent over 15000.00 but I could easily have built that result for under 8000.00

this is because over the year you are building your tank, you buy this, then decide you don't like it so you buy something else, and so. corals die so you replace them, same as fish.

if you have a set up your happy with you can just spend money on what worked, instead of the experimentation, you also have the opportunity to look at that 2000.00 buck skimmer and say did it really work much better than the 800.00 buck one I had. I think personally if your not sure what you want and just start making something it could easily cost 100.00/gal and up, but if you know what you want and are smart about it you could build it for much less than that, say 50 to 70/gal.

also note the price per gal is about as useless as a watts/gal as the tank gets bigger a similar set up system will get cheaper/gal

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:31 PM

Parker is on a distinguished road

My 265 isn't to bad on its own, but my stand pushes it way over the top.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:11 PM

Cody is on a distinguished road

I should purchase a Gem Tang and run the cost up a lil. I kid of course.....

Anyone have a Gem Tang at 90% off?
Old 01-30-2015, 02:38 AM

Riptide is on a distinguished road

I voted in the 26-50 range but thats all used equipment that Ive gotten a deal on and rough guesstimate of live stock (still waiting to cycle). That being said if all equipment was new retail it would probably get bumped to the next tier 😒
Old 02-12-2017, 01:48 AM

SoloSK71 is on a distinguished road

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but has anyone actually tested the 'coral and livestock' question with their insurance company? I (un)lucked into a couple of tank failure threads on RC (tanks breaking, not what we normally call a tank crash) and not one of them got coverage for the coral or livestock. Fire, tank broke, tree fell on, the tank was covered as was equipment but never any of the living inhabitants.

Charles

Success in this hobby does not count how you spend your money, it counts how you spend your time.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:00 AM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloSK71 View Post
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but has anyone actually tested the 'coral and livestock' question with their insurance company? I (un)lucked into a couple of tank failure threads on RC (tanks breaking, not what we normally call a tank crash) and not one of them got coverage for the coral or livestock. Fire, tank broke, tree fell on, the tank was covered as was equipment but never any of the living inhabitants.

Charles

I have enquired about it from a couple of insurance companies not one will cover the contents inside the tank if there is a tank failure or its damaged from say a child throwing an object and breaking the tank they will cover the tank itself and possibly any equipment damaged as long as it can be proven it was caused directly by tank failure.

As far as any livestock and coral you are SOL as fish and inverts are not coverable as they are not considered pets nor are they considered property the same goes for coral. With that being said you can get extra insurance on your tank to cover replacement costs up to a certain amount.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:09 AM

CoralPatron is on a distinguished road

Hopefully our bright legislative minds will soon reconsider this, or we need a breakthrough lawyer with a slamdunk lol