Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 11-15-2010, 09:48 PM

Cliff is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I never did realize this could be a matter of preference. I had tried using filter socks on my old sump to stop micro bubbles from being sucked up into the skimmer. When I up-graded my sump, I put in a bubble trap in between the skimmer and the drain line from the tank. It’s eliminated about 95% of the micro bubbles and what little bubbles get through don’t seem to effect the new skimmer I have. I think I’ll just use the filter socks when I’m doing any kind of re-scaping in the tank to be on the safe side.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:18 AM

AquaticFinatic is on a distinguished road

So if I was to just put the washer on a rinse cycle do I have to worry about the soap residue etc?

Loudest part of my system would be the nagging sound I hear on a regular basis about how much time and money I spend on the tank.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:29 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
Thanks for all the responses everyone. I never did realize this could be a matter of preference. I had tried using filter socks on my old sump to stop micro bubbles from being sucked up into the skimmer. When I up-graded my sump, I put in a bubble trap in between the skimmer and the drain line from the tank. It’s eliminated about 95% of the micro bubbles and what little bubbles get through don’t seem to effect the new skimmer I have. I think I’ll just use the filter socks when I’m doing any kind of re-scaping in the tank to be on the safe side.

thats when i plan on using mine too when i do any aqua scaping or sand maintanance , its been my experience not to leave any "fabrics" in your tank unless your crazy about keeping them clean and rotated
Old 12-08-2010, 12:24 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Might not need them but after seeing how much they pull from the water even with a skimmer, they must be doing something good
Old 12-08-2010, 02:00 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

I just did a search for threads with 'filter sock' in the title using the search function. I found 14 existing threads including this one.

Filter sock or no filter sock?
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...ht=filter+sock

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour