Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-11-2008, 03:44 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Noooo you don't We're not going through another "Mike is getting a new skimmer" for at least a WEEK, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus View Post
wish I had it
Old 12-11-2008, 03:48 AM

Parker is on a distinguished road

Looks like it's comming together nicly Lance!
Old 12-13-2008, 10:47 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfish55 View Post
Glass drill was ordered the other day, should hopefully be here beginning of next week. Looking good so far.

Hey Mrfish55. Glad to see ya on here. Welcome to Canreef. Tank is cycling right now.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:58 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
I'm not totally sure yet. I know my SF tang, Foxface and Coral Beauty from my 90g are going in. I think probably one more tang (Kole maybe); a Harlequin Tusk Wrasse; a large angel or two; maybe one of the more peaceful triggers (Pinktail, Bluechin); and maybe a Copperband BF.
Sounds like a pretty sweet mix. You will have to be super careful with the order in which they go in. If its at all possible try and add the kole (or any bristle tooth) first as they are less aggressive and will have a chance to settle in before your sailfin goes in. Angels at the same time if possible, then the trigger and tusk last. Would definitely be an impressive tank.
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 12-16-2008, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
Sounds like a pretty sweet mix. You will have to be super careful with the order in which they go in. If its at all possible try and add the kole (or any bristle tooth) first as they are less aggressive and will have a chance to settle in before your sailfin goes in. Angels at the same time if possible, then the trigger and tusk last. Would definitely be an impressive tank.

Yeah, you pretty much have it figured as I do. Although my SF is pretty mellow he hasn't had another tang in with him so he should go in after the Kole. (Have to make sure I give the Kole lots of nori until the algae builds up in the tank). I'll have to find a CB Butterfly that is eating mysis because he should go in fairly early too, but as it is a new tank there won't be a whole lot for him to pick at for awhile. After the tank has been up for awhile I'll dump in a bottle of Tigger pods. I'm still undecided on a trigger; I really like them but I'm a little leery about getting one. If he doesn't fit in it's hard to find a home for him here in Powell River. I'll have to ship him.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:33 AM

Got the return pump plumbed and ready to go. Reeflo Barracuda.

The controller (Aqua Controller Jr.) and Direct Connect 8. These will monitor and control the lighting, powerheads, temperature, etc.

Also got the ballasts mounted and labelled.

So I'm pretty much just waiting on the glass drill bit to get here to drill the sump. Be nice to get it done and get the skimmer going. Can't wait to see that baby perform.
The tank has been cycling now for 9 days. Added a few more pieces of live rock with corals on them. Hopefully they do ok. I've been changing some water whenever the ammonia level gets too high. Nitrite showed up 4 days ago and nitrate already showing up yesterday. I'm using tank water from my 90 gal, a fair amount of cured live rock and a large piece of filter floss from the other sump so I think this will be a pretty quick cycle.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:42 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

looks great Lance don't worry once that Beckett is powered up run it dry for a bit to get it going and then start it wet and man you watch that clena up nicely... you have a great skimmer there my friend.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:58 AM

So, the tank cycling is going pretty good. It has now had water in it for 13 days. Ran some water tests today and ammonia level is down to .25 mg/l; nitrite is at .75 mg/l and nitrate at 40 mg/l. I've been changing 10% of the water every 3 days. Glass bit is still not here yet and I'm getting impatient to get the sump drilled and the skimmer going. Not much to take pics of but will post some when I get the sump and skimmer going.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:16 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

sounds like it going man , wanna try something to get the cycle going Lance. buy some hagen cycle like 2x 500ml bottles and pour it all in and you will have no cycle lots of biological creatures in there i have always used it since day 1
Old 12-21-2008, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus View Post
sounds like it going man , wanna try something to get the cycle going Lance. buy some hagen cycle like 2x 500ml bottles and pour it all in and you will have no cycle lots of biological creatures in there i have always used it since day 1

I have some Mike, but I was following the directions of 10 ml per 10 gals. So I just dump the whole bottle in at once and then get another bottle. OK, I'll give it a try.