Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 08-24-2007, 07:30 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Wow, that does seem high. IMO though, in and of itself, the number shouldn't cause you concern if the livestock appears otherwise healthy and happy and whatnot. Ie. I think people tend to focus too much on things like "Oh no! My tank's pH is 8.1 and everyone else is at 8.4, I should add some pH up or something" - which is folly because the pH itself is only a summation of other variables at play. And of course, if the tank is doing fine at 8.1 then one shouldn't worry about it not being 8.4.

But, I have to say I'm a bit surprised to see those numbers if you're running a calcium reactor. I thought running a reactor tended to pull the #'s downwards. For example, on any tank I run, typically I see pH swings around something like 8.1 to 8.5 without a reactor on a tank, and about 7.8 to 8.2 when there is a reactor on the tank.

Sooo anyhow I have no idea what to make of your #'s, that is interesting indeed, although like I said if your livestock is otherwise doing fine I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Maybe because your tank volume is so large it has an easier time shedding any excess CO2 from the reactor?

Last edited by Delphinus; 08-24-2007 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:58 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

No fancy photos in this update...

I was able to download a free version of "LogMeIn" and install it on the aquarium computer. Combined with my new home wifi network, this has now enabled me to access the Aquatronica remotely over the internet. I have full control over all aspects of the controller just as if I was standing there.

While I probably won't do much controlling remotely, it can certainly give me piece of mind to see the tank temp and pH are OK.

Now I'm really keen to get a webcam installed.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 09-06-2007, 03:55 AM

Zylumn is on a distinguished road

"Now I'm really keen to get a webcam installed."

Not as keen as I am
Old 09-06-2007, 06:00 AM

justinl is on a distinguished road

coooool, man i would love to have the peace of mind to be able to control my tank remotely. and best of all it was free! now that's not something you see often in this hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zylumn View Post
Not as keen as I am
lol, agreed! if you get a webcam on this tank, would you post the live feed to the public (ie. us schmucks)? it would save you from being pesterd all teh time for a new fts... speaking of which, fts!
Old 09-06-2007, 07:52 AM

spoot is on a distinguished road

Oh, that would be a great idea, then we can bask in the glow of your tank
Old 09-06-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoot View Post
Oh, that would be a great idea, then we can bask in the glow of your tank
I've got my head around adding a webcam...but it would be only visible to me. Right now, making the camera visible to everyone is beyond my understanding. I'll try.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

Old 09-15-2007, 02:27 AM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Bump
Haven't seen much on the new tank lately. How are things progressing?

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:33 AM

Default Death in the family...

Woke up this morning to find the Leopard wrasse in serious trouble. On his side, breathing heavily. He only lasted about 2 hours before he died.

One of those things, I suppose. All the other fish seem quite healthy and happy. He was completely fine when the lights went off the night before.

He is the first fish to die in the new tank...and it wasn't the one that I expected. I have a Pacific Blue Tang that came in a couple of days ago as a gift. He looks terrible and hasn't eaten since his arrival. I've done everything I can, but I'm positive that he isn't going to make it.

The Pacific Blue is the 2nd fish to arrive in the tank looking like skin covering bones. Both came from the best shop in town, but there really should be a "If you think you can save it...discount". The other skinny fish is going to survive and once she fills out a bit, I'll announce her on this site with her own photo.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:44 PM

Tom R is on a distinguished road

Hi Brad

It is amazing just how fragile the life forms from the worlds oceans are. They do not give you much of a chance to save their lives. They are here today gone tomorrow. A coral can RTN from top to bottom in 12 hours while the coral next to it is as happy as the days it stood in waters of Fiji.

Tom R

Last edited by Tom R; 01-08-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:19 PM

Default Another death in the family...

Today, I lost my 2nd fish. It was the small goby that hitchiked in with the live rock. He was always an extremely fat, healthy fish. Today, he just didn't report for dinner.

No body has been found yet, and likely never will.

I never did get a good picture of him. It seemed like there was always tomorrow...sigh.