Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-13-2008, 01:13 PM

Sam1969 is on a distinguished road
Default Calcium Reactors ???

I see quite a few reefers talking about calcium reactors. I am unsure as to why I need one ... i realize that we need calcium for our tank to survive ... but is that not why we use additives ? what exactly does the calcium reactor do for us ? do we still need to add to our tank if we use one ? what are the pros and cons of using the calcium reactor ?
Old 11-13-2008, 01:25 PM

martym is on a distinguished road

They are suppose to add Cal and Alk into the tank at a balanced rate. I find with mine, it keeps up with the Alk but not Cal. Not sure if they are worth the expense. I would imagine the larger tanks benefit from it more that the smaller tanks like yours and mine.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:07 PM

Pescador is on a distinguished road

For me it was when the expense of adding two part Calc/alk on a bigger tank justified a calcium reactor. Also being to able to go on vacation without someone having to dose the tank.
There are DIY recipes for 2 part that would bring the cost down and dosers that would automate it.
110g mangrove refug/sump
Poison Dart Frog Vivarium
Old 11-13-2008, 05:26 PM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

A calcium reactor works by dissolving what are essentially dead coral skeletons and putting the effluent back into the tank. As a result, it provides provides both Ca, Alk and Mg as well as trace elements.

Here's a Randy Holmes Farley article comparing various methods of Ca/Alk supplementation:
http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=3&gl=ca

Here's one of RC's interminable threads with people arguing back and forth about the merits each method. As usual, it was finally closed due to it degenerating into personal attacks:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...5&pagenumber=7

Randy also has another article which I can't find now comparing the relative costs. The conclusion I believe was that the bigger the tank you have, the more cost efficient a calcium reactor is in the long run. The "tipping point" where a reactor becomes the better deal was around the 125 gallon mark, I think. The costs he calculated were with respect to his two-part method using bulk CaCl, baking soda and MgCl/MgSO4 rather than fancy German dosing pumps with pretty labelled CaCl, baking soda and MgCl/MgSO4 which cost more.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:50 PM
Banned

Whatigot is on a distinguished road

come on guys
Ca reactors look sexy.
So many of my aquatic ignorant friends are ore impressed with my ca reactor than anything in the tank...
They're like, wow, I never knew this stuff was so high tech....lol

you can't impress people with a couple of bottles.....
Old 11-13-2008, 08:39 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I think the goal is stability, which is key for coral growth and vitality. Constantly adding additives gets tiresome and expensive. Once you have a tank that can suck up 20ppm of calcium a day you'll understand better. Most people don't have the need for constant addition of Ca and Alk and do well with a simple two part additive method or just frequent water changes.

Now buying additives in bulk and using an automatic dosing system is to me the best method, but this is fairly new technology for us
Old 11-14-2008, 01:53 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by martym View Post
They are suppose to add Cal and Alk into the tank at a balanced rate. I find with mine, it keeps up with the Alk but not Cal.
just noticed this, they should keep both up pretty good, out of curosity what is your Mg level. and what are you alk and Ca levels.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:03 PM

martym is on a distinguished road

1350ppm. It stays very constant there.