Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-11-2014, 07:19 AM

jason604 is on a distinguished road
Default Teach me the A-Z of dosing

I have a Lot more sps now than a few weeks ago and I'm noticing one of my Acro colony is starting to turn pale so I check kh and it was at 6. I Normally have it around 7 but it's dropping so fast and I don't add kh buffer nor check parameters often enough so I'm thinking about getting one of those fancy auto dosers. I initially was gonna go with ca reactors but I heard its much harder to dial In and take more effort to operate. I pretty much jack about auto dosers so can a pro kindly lead me into the correct path? What's the best bang for Ur buck doser. What exactly do I need to buy in total. How do I know how much to dose? I heard about doser horror stories that fail n cause total tank crashes. How do u make sure this never happens?
Old 01-11-2014, 09:31 AM

nerdz is on a distinguished road

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bVI69xOb_JM

A really good overview.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:21 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Not saying no to dosing (switched myself) but to clarify, not that hard to tune in a Ca rx, have the advantage of adding trace elements through the media and more cost effective on larger systems.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:46 PM

LoJack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
Not saying no to dosing (switched myself) but to clarify, not that hard to tune in a Ca rx, have the advantage of adding trace elements through the media and more cost effective on larger systems.
Agreed. I dose now … but in a 150 gallon set up that's SPS dominant I'm going through 2 to 3 gallons of 2 part a month to keep up. I'm at the point where a calcium reactor seems like a great investment lol, it will pay itself off in short order.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:10 PM

jason604 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
Agreed. I dose now … but in a 150 gallon set up that's SPS dominant I'm going through 2 to 3 gallons of 2 part a month to keep up. I'm at the point where a calcium reactor seems like a great investment lol, it will pay itself off in short order.
How much does it cost to buy and operate a calcium reactor? My tank is only 75g. Ca reactors need a giant co2 bottle and I have my tank right in my dining room area so I can't have such an eye sore and it will deff not fit in my sump under tank.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:06 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Depending on make a doser can cost similar to reactor, but there's a huge range for each, specially if consider DIY. Bottles don't need to be huge, a 10 pounder is about 18" high so could fit under a stand, lasted me about 6 months, $20 to refill.

Ca media not much choices but dosing can buy pre-mixed to bulk raw salts.