Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 02-18-2009, 12:00 AM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

if you go for the lager pendants like a lumenbright or lumenmax you will still have a problem with coverage on the 35"wide tank as I use to have 2 lumenbright pendants and they only covered 2x2ft. I run 2x250w hqi now and notice that they are brighter than my 2x400 se.

Twon why don't you keep the 400w fixture in the front and put a 250w hqi in the back, then later sell the 400w and get another 250w and run them side by side. I don't think that your house ac can keep up with the heat of you mh in the summer and you will have to get a chiller anyhow there is a guy on craigslist selling a hqi system for $200 go for it!!

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 02-18-2009, 12:40 AM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

i'm interested in someting for my 45g 1/4 round as well. Presently using T5, But wouldn't mind trying halide. I was thinking 2 175W or mine maybe? with actinics in middle? The Halide would be in front, and the Actinic T5's run the radius, from the point in the back to the front center. Wonder how that would work????

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 02-18-2009, 02:54 AM

foreverfortune is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang daddy View Post
if you go for the lager pendants like a lumenbright or lumenmax you will still have a problem with coverage on the 35"wide tank as I use to have 2 lumenbright pendants and they only covered 2x2ft. I run 2x250w hqi now and notice that they are brighter than my 2x400 se.

Twon why don't you keep the 400w fixture in the front and put a 250w hqi in the back, then later sell the 400w and get another 250w and run them side by side. I don't think that your house ac can keep up with the heat of you mh in the summer and you will have to get a chiller anyhow there is a guy on craigslist selling a hqi system for $200 go for it!!
yea i saw the ones on craigslist and that is why i have considered the 2 250w. can hamilton ballast run any 250w bulbs or would i be limited in bulb selection?

that also brings up heating issues for me. in the past i had heating issues, had my tank runing at 86 degrees at times in the summer. chiller wasnt really an option because i lack the space for it (tank is in my living room) so then i went and bought a home central air conditioner unit. it has helped lots but im still running at 80 degrees unless i crank up my aircon and put sweaters on me and my family lol i made sure my aircon was slightly oversized for my home. or maybe i can get someone to fabricate eggcrates made from some sort of corrosion resistant metal or heat resistant plastic thats strong enough to hold my lighting and use that rather than my glass tops.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:59 AM

zazzoo is on a distinguished road

i think you will like the 250 x 2 .... get the galaxy ballast and ushio bulbs or even phoenix..... would you consider hanging from the roof ? can make it look nice ...
Old 02-18-2009, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat View Post
i'm interested in someting for my 45g 1/4 round as well. Presently using T5, But wouldn't mind trying halide. I was thinking 2 175W or mine maybe? with actinics in middle? The Halide would be in front, and the Actinic T5's run the radius, from the point in the back to the front center. Wonder how that would work????
sounds good if you have both halides closer to the front or use good reflectors. what kind of canopy are you using?
Old 02-18-2009, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzoo View Post
i think you will like the 250 x 2 .... get the galaxy ballast and ushio bulbs or even phoenix..... would you consider hanging from the roof ? can make it look nice ...
hmmm... can you picture my wife letting me hang my lighting from the ceiling? she'd want the whole thing gone if i even attempted that hhaha
Old 02-18-2009, 03:30 AM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverfortune View Post
sounds good if you have both halides closer to the front or use good reflectors. what kind of canopy are you using?
No canopy. Open top. have a Teklight 4 x 24w T5 hanging from celing right now with the spring loaded retractable hangers. I like the hanging method.

here's a crappy pic of my present setup with the T5's my cell phone sux for pictures hahah
http://banditpowdercoat.com/Powderga...2/IMAG0187.jpg

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 02-18-2009, 03:47 AM

nice tank looks similar to my tank except i have a canopy, similar rock layout as well.

wish i can some how get rid of my glass tops, would help with my heating issues. hanging isnt an option for me so with out them i have nothing to hold up my lighting.

any one know if there is such a thing as non corrosive metal egg crate material
Old 02-18-2009, 03:47 AM

dont worry just tell her ... Lairay did it .... LOL i was going to setup mine up till i found me some legs.... want to know a really nice fixture ? ... maristar 36 inch... and hanging from the roof ... oh yeah very very nice.... it comes with nice hanging hardware that makes it look part of the house
Old 02-18-2009, 03:53 AM

take alook at this fixture and power .... powder coat black ... and the brightness of it