Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 10-31-2012, 05:21 AM

Jaws is on a distinguished road

How much were the containers from Corix if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
Old 10-31-2012, 03:28 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

How big are they? It's hard to get a sense of scale looking at them (actually what's really weird is the picture of your tank room, the wood grain makes it look like the inside of a tank stand - it's the other things like light switches and plugs that hint at it not being 30" from one side to the other ) .. but those tanks honestly don't look that much larger than my 2 50g barrels. That's awesome. When I looked into water storage I settled on 50g's because of space considerations and anything with more capacity was just way too big).

Edit: Are these them? http://www.premierplastics.com/utility.htm

Last edited by Delphinus; 10-31-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:26 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
How much were the containers from Corix if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
I'm loath to say that I'm not totally sure. I had some arranged from a Andrew-Sheret and then my builder got these (they were higher quality) from Corix. Retail I think they were about $150 each but I'm not sure what my wholesale price is yet...I haven't got the bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
How big are they? It's hard to get a sense of scale looking at them (actually what's really weird is the picture of your tank room, the wood grain makes it look like the inside of a tank stand - it's the other things like light switches and plugs that hint at it not being 30" from one side to the other ) .. but those tanks honestly don't look that much larger than my 2 50g barrels. That's awesome. When I looked into water storage I settled on 50g's because of space considerations and anything with more capacity was just way too big).

These are each 100G tanks. As you can see in the picture below, they fit on my small stand well and still allow me to build something above them and make the most of my space. I couldn't figure a good method to stack them without making it tough to clean them when necessary.

I'm not sure if that's the original supplier. I will look again at the labels and get back to you on that. I can say that they are really built well.

Here's my sink setup in the fish room. I chose an Acrylic sink...hoping it won't discolor too much over time. I know my cabinet doesn't match but I keep reminding myself that this is a working room and looking pretty doesn't make it work any better.

Lastly, we got a little closer to working on the plumbing of the actual display but finishing a little more woodwork.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:02 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post

Hey, I took this picture just for you!

Old 11-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Gold Member

Got some more things done in the house this week, including getting the Generator and the HRV functional.

Can't wait to get countertop on in the fish room and the floor epoxied!

Old 11-09-2012, 03:24 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
Hey, I took this picture just for you!
Haha, thanks! Man I guessed good.

Last edited by Delphinus; 11-09-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:04 AM
Gold Member

We got some more stuff finished today on the tank. It seems like I only get work done on the tank 1 in 10 days...the rest are dedicated to the rest of the house.

The trim on the top and bottom got finished around the tank. I think it turned out great. Here are some pics.

I also started doing some plumbing. The pics from my phone didn't turn out very well for this so i will try with my camera next time.

It's amazing how hard it is to find the plumbing parts I need in a town like Vernon...even from the plumbing wholesale stores. Sadly, some parts need to be ordered online and will take some time to get here.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:52 AM
Gold Member

Got going on some of the plumbing today...pictures aren't great as my phone is old and has no flash.

Everything is just dry fit while I try to figure out roughly what I'm trying to accomplish.

Return plumbing on the eurobrace of the tank.

I'm missing a couple key pieces to the plumbing until a shipment from the US arrives. Sadly this stalls me from glueing most things as I don't know exactly parts in transit will fit in.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:52 AM
Gold Member

Today I managed to get some more done on the build. I glued the plumbing that I had dry fit for the return over the tank. This went pretty well but I was reminded how rarely I do plumbing by how many times I had to fix little errors. It looks the same as above, just glued.

I also got to working on my water change station. Everything is dry fit (that's why it's looking a little off for fit, since the glue will allow the plumbing to sink a little further in each fitting than dry)

Here's a picture.

The way that I've got it set up, I will be able to the do the following by select turns on the ball valves:

A) Transfer water between the fresh and salt tanks (right and left respectively)
B) Circulate the salt water tank (the pipe going up will enter a bulkhead on the top edge of the tank for this)
C) Complete a water change to my sump located on the bench to the left. (this pipe has not been completed yet but will be shortly)
D) Empty either or both tanks via the pump
E) Empty either tank via gravity.

The ABS pipe you see to the right is a drain that I will hook things up to for emptying via the pump.

The pump is a Blowhole 1450 so it will have plenty of power to do what I need it to. It's never been used yet but Reeflo already sent me the replacement bearing assembly that they've been updating these units with.

I am having a problem that I need advice on though. Here is another picture of my plumbing below my overflow.

I have since moved the large 2" pipe in the foreground to the rear 2" outlet but for the purposes of my question, this won't matter as I'm only focused on the 1 1/2" pipes for the overflow.

My issue is that my three bulkheads are thread on the bottom, into which I put a MPT/slip adapter. Below that I was planning on a pipe to lead to the union on two of the pipes and a Gate valve then union on the other one. How do I put this plumbing together as even with a union, the slip fittings on top and bottom don't allow me to get the pipe high enough to get into the fitting and then align with the union? I know this may not make sense but basically, I need to slip up and slip down...but how to do both?

I'm hoping this is just a brain fart and that I'm missing something obvious.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:57 AM

wmcinnes is on a distinguished road

Awesome build!

As for your question, I think I understand it.. I think.. haha

Could you not unscrew the union and glue your pipe into the half that comes off then slip into your MPT to slip adapter and screw your union back together.. Might take some precise measurements to get it to fit properly but i think it shoould be doable!

Rainforest of the Sea
First 90g Reef