Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 02-24-2009, 03:23 PM

marie is on a distinguished road

I think it's because this board is very localized, we meet face to face or have friends that have met face to face with other members. It tends to make things more civil and honest.

From a sponsers perspective, the sponsers that stay in touch and treat everyone honestly are much more likely to get repeat business because word travels fast "behind" the scenes

Oh yeah and the moderators do a great job too

*edit* at least thats the reason this board is the only one I ever visit, I shouldn't really speak for anyone else

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252

Last edited by marie; 02-24-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:35 PM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedfrags.com View Post
Anything specific Canreef has done excluding the contributions of the members? Just interested from a "sponsor" perspective.
Staff is great no doubt. Also being Canadian we are a little more tolerant of fools and don't flame them outright.

If post titled "My tangs keep dying in my 10 gallon tank, Help!" appears on some of the other boards the poster gets ripped a new one. Here they would probably get the advice they need to keep a saltwater tank without too much Agro.

Well maybe Naesco would weigh in heavy but he is on team "Fish" and that is alright by me.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:40 PM

brizzo is on a distinguished road

CanReef rocks for the day to day chat. It's also nice there is regular members always posting and keeping things balanced. I like to keep update to try to keep up to date on RC, but its damn near impossible.

Check out www.alexa.com for a site's traffic rank. It's an interesting way to rate how busy a site is. My website gets a nice score of 6,352 (non-fish related)
Old 02-24-2009, 03:42 PM

a4twenty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by traco View Post
I also love the fact you can hit the "Search" button, enter what you want to and off it goes to search, not like Reef Central where I can never do that.
you have to take into account that there is usually between 1000 and 3000 people online and the search function is taking nonstop abuse. if you want to search RC, go to google and after entering your search click on 'advanced search' and enter 'reefcentral.com' under the 'Search within a site or domain" heading. this gives you loads of links to the forum and their archives.

not trying to take anything away from the search engine here but i hear a lot of people say the same thing about searching RC and it's so simple.

HTH

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
Water Movement: Seio 1500, (2) Hydor Koralia 4's
Lighting: 400W SE MH with 14K Aqua Connect
Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4 / AC reactor
Old 02-24-2009, 04:45 PM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4twenty View Post
you have to take into account that there is usually between 1000 and 3000 people online and the search function is taking nonstop abuse. if you want to search RC, go to google and after entering your search click on 'advanced search' and enter 'reefcentral.com' under the 'Search within a site or domain" heading. this gives you loads of links to the forum and their archives.

not trying to take anything away from the search engine here but i hear a lot of people say the same thing about searching RC and it's so simple.

HTH
You can do the same google search without advanced search by including "domain:reefcentral.com" anywhere in the search.

ie - dendro domain:reefcentral.com
Old 02-24-2009, 07:16 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I'm a premium member at RC and the search nearly never fails. Very rare.

Regarding the people over there though...it seems to me the really opinionated and elitist posters post much more often than the normal folk. This really inflates that sense that the board is overrun. I think for the massive userbase it's still pretty good. I enjoy browsing canreef a lot more but RC is so massive that it's very useful. Without premium search I doubt I'd go there much though.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Banned

Whatigot is on a distinguished road

I first started on thsi board with a tonne of questions and the reference libraries put together by Myka and ChristyF5 were pretty much the reason I was on here every day.

so they get you hooked early on.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:49 PM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

Intersting. Generally not my experience here in Toronto, sure you meet a few good people along the way, but generally it is just in and out at the LFS. Perhaps it is just the the Toronto way...

Agree about the moderators, and appreciate your thoughts regarding the word of mouth. Hope it is true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie View Post
I think it's because this board is very localized, we meet face to face or have friends that have met face to face with other members. It tends to make things more civil and honest.

From a sponsers perspective, the sponsers that stay in touch and treat everyone honestly are much more likely to get repeat business because word travels fast "behind" the scenes

Oh yeah and the moderators do a great job too

*edit* at least thats the reason this board is the only one I ever visit, I shouldn't really speak for anyone else
Old 02-24-2009, 08:04 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

In my experience, Canadians are nicer once you travel west of Manitoba and east of Quebec

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 02-24-2009, 10:02 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

yes, thumbs up for the mods, plus Titus for the board itself.