Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Photography

Old 08-25-2011, 02:49 AM

Veng68 is on a distinguished road

many of the Canon point and shoots have diving cases.

Canon
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...aterproof+case

others
http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=...26ca047e00159a

Cheers,
Vic

Last edited by Veng68; 08-25-2011 at 02:53 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:06 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

If you're on a budget you can get a G9 used on ebay for around $250 or less. I wouldn't personally get a used underwater case but they can be found for around $200 or less new.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:33 AM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

Waterproof cameras run from $29 to well over $5000 so you have to decide how much you want to spend and how often you are going to be using it. The entry level is a cheapo little film camera of fixed focal length and built in flash and uses 35mm film. The point and shoots are good for occasional use will go far beyond their rated depth. If you wreck one by going to deep they are covered by warranty. There is nothing in the camera that tells them how deep you went. Next step up is a point and shoot with a housing. all the major manufacturers make them, just pick one you like and can afford. This is what we use for all our dives and the pictures are great for personal use etc. If your looking for continuous use and professional quality then you are going to need one of the DSLR's and a housing and set of strobes.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:26 AM

saltcreep is on a distinguished road

Go Canon S95 with the Canon underwater housing. Awesome compact camera that you can still have full manual control for better underwater shooting. You'll be able to shoot RAW so you are able to correct white balance on the computer.
Also has HD video. Best option right now.

Will be the camera/housing choice for my wife for our next dive vacation.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:45 PM

Phanman is on a distinguished road

I bought the ATC-9k at costco last month for $199.99. It has a camera but wanted it for the HD video, good to 65ft too! Gonna use it for filming my son swimming, snowboarding, and on my next scuba trip. Most of your good shots will be at 35ft anyways where there is plenty of light and coral.

http://us.oregonscientific.com/cat-O...on-Camera.html

Something to look at for a reasonable price.

3x20g Display Established June 08|Koralia nano, 1, 4|Euroreef Skimmer|250W MH retro kit|Mag 18 return|RODI
120g Display Established Jan 1, 09|Vortech MP40|Koralia 4|I-Tech 100 w Tunze 9410.04A|Aquactinics Constellation 7x54W|Mag 18 return|RODI
Old 08-25-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltcreep View Post
Go Canon S95 with the Canon underwater housing. Awesome compact camera that you can still have full manual control for better underwater shooting. You'll be able to shoot RAW so you are able to correct white balance on the computer.
Also has HD video. Best option right now.

Will be the camera/housing choice for my wife for our next dive vacation.
Looks like a good option, definitely want to shoot in raw which I forgot to mention before, this will really help but you will still need to set WB underwater and often as software will only adjust so far, if you're way off it won't correct it.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Looks like a good option, definitely want to shoot in raw which I forgot to mention before, this will really help but you will still need to set WB underwater and often as software will only adjust so far, if you're way off it won't correct it.
I haven't had any issues with WB. The auto settings are pretty good. I've been shooting full manual with my G11 which helps a lot. Here's a shot at about 50' in the Cayman Islands that didn't need much work. From my understanding the S95 and G11/12 have the same guts.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:46 PM

Well I took a few shots with auto WB in RAW and could get the color right using PS, the scale just wouldn't go far enough. I guess it just depends on the light and what you're happy with. Realistically you'll always get better results using the custom WB, even in an aquarium never mind 50' down.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Well I took a few shots with auto WB in RAW and could get the color right using PS, the scale just wouldn't go far enough. I guess it just depends on the light and what you're happy with. Realistically you'll always get better results using the custom WB, even in an aquarium never mind 50' down.
True enough. As easy as it is, it's just one more thing that I get the look for from my wife while diving.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltcreep View Post
True enough. As easy as it is, it's just one more thing that I get the look for from my wife while diving.
After a while I could set the WB on the G9 with my eyes closed in about 2 secs. I haven't used the 11 but the 10 was the same so I'm assuming the 11 hasn't changed much.

One problem with the G9 and G10 is you can't change the aperture or shutter speed in the case so you have to make sure you set then to what you want before you dive meaning you certainly can't shoot full manual. Is the G11 different?

I guess it should be noted that when choosing a camera make sure you can actually use it how you want underwater....

Last edited by sphelps; 08-25-2011 at 11:01 PM.