Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-11-2013, 10:29 PM

PFoster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by michika View Post
I wonder if its part of a "new tank" thing. I vaguely remember having low MG in past tanks, but that was low Mg, not Mg being used up by the system.

Foster, why the MgCl only and not magnesium sulphate? Is it in relation to which is more "usable" to the tank. I've seen disucssion on moving only to Magneslum Cloride as the sole source, but I am still on the fence. What benefits do you see from this change?

Just to clarify this is the first time I've done 2-part dosing and prior to this tank I've always used reactors. I'm just coming up to the end of my 5g buckets on pretty much everything.

Tim, how heavily stocked is your system? What parameter in your tank requires the most for dosing? Ca?
I used to use both the chloride and the sulfate and Tim is right it doesnt use much. But I switch to the straight chloride a long time ago and got better growth and better colour. I did also change a few other things on the system so i really cant say at all that it was due to just this so please just to clarify i am not saying switching to chloride only gave me better growth and colour.
That being said its been several years now and I have seen no ill effect.

The main reason against using straight mag chloride is the argument that in conjunction with calcium chloride you can get a build up of chlorides over time. But your WC's take care of this, even if you are a bit lazy in doing them imo

Once you start using the Balling Lite system you wont go back to reactors,
Welcome to the dark side, wuahahahahahaha

Honestly though you will have way better growth and a much higher and more stable pH.