Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-06-2014, 12:39 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottafindnemo View Post
Yeah its a bag of live sand from big als, i was told i should be useing dechlorinated water. It does make sence to me but if u guys say i can use just straight tap water thats alot simpler! Would i still be able to use the basically pristine water from my discus tank to wash it?
Collectively, we have a bit more experience than Big Als. Trust us, you can use the hose and a bucket. However, if you have sand that is "live", which is packed in water, you don't wash that. Leave your discus water in the discus tank.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:41 AM

gottafindnemo is on a distinguished road

The power heads wont make it overly cloudy? Will be a 600gph and a 425gph powerheads, and live rock as my filtration. And mext question is, if i just add it straight in then add water. Should i let it settle before putting power heads in? Still have to order my lr
Old 08-06-2014, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Collectively, we have a bit more experience than Big Als. Trust us, you can use the hose and a bucket. However, if you have sand that is "live", which is packed in water, you don't wash that. Leave your discus water in the discus tank.
Wasnt someone from big als that advised me to use dechlorinated water or ro water to rinse my sand lol sorry missed ur comment cuz i didnt know ibhad to go tobthe second page haha so with this bag of carrib sea, i dont or i do have to wash it? Gettin confused with the one person saying i dont have to and others saying i can use straight tap water haha
Old 08-06-2014, 12:44 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The power heads wont make it overly cloudy? Will be a 600gph and a 425gph powerheads, and live rock as my filtration. And mext question is, if i just add it straight in then add water. Should i let it settle before putting power heads in? Still have to order my lr
yes leave your power heads off , mix your salt water outside of the tank then add it , dont mix salt in the tank with sand in there , i add my sand after water but either is fine as its a mess anyways .

liverock can go in after or before but i prefer afterwards to keep things clean
Old 08-06-2014, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
yes leave your power heads off , mix your salt water outside of the tank then add it , dont mix salt in the tank with sand in there , i add my sand after water but either is fine as its a mess anyways .

liverock can go in after or before but i prefer afterwards to keep things clean
Okay, so. Can i wash sand, fill tank with water, mix in salt, then add sand? Ive added sand after tanks full of water lots in my fw tanks lol slow process but ive never had it cloud up
Old 08-06-2014, 12:47 AM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Wasnt someone from big als that advised me to use dechlorinated water or ro water to rinse my sand lol sorry missed ur comment cuz i didnt know ibhad to go tobthe second page haha so with this bag of carrib sea, i dont or i do have to wash it? Gettin confused with the one person saying i dont have to and others saying i can use straight tap water haha
if its live sand then it has bacteria ( how much is questionable and what kinds) in it as well some die off , this does not need to be rinsed as you are planning a cycle.

if the sand was never live and is dry ( no liquid in the bag) then it needs to be rinsed as it has dust in it .
Old 08-06-2014, 12:47 AM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Okay, so. Can i wash sand, fill tank with water, mix in salt, then add sand? Ive added sand after tanks full of water lots in my fw tanks lol slow process but ive never had it cloud up
thats a fine plan

will take a few days or more to clear up , once you add the rock it will clear up faster
Old 08-06-2014, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
if its live sand then it has bacteria ( how much is questionable and what kinds) in it as well some die off , this does not need to be rinsed as you are planning a cycle.

if the sand was never live and is dry ( no liquid in the bag) then it needs to be rinsed as it has dust in it .
So then the sand i have is classed as dry sand?
Old 08-06-2014, 12:48 AM
R.I.P.

Quote:
So then the sand i have is classed as dry sand?
is it dry?
Old 08-06-2014, 12:49 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Don't wash it. Dry sand needs lots of rinsing but live sand doesn't need any. The theory behind the live sand is that it is full of beneficial bacteria that will shorten your cycle time for a new tank.