Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 05-24-2007, 08:09 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

hey, so I'm looking into that balling method, where do you get all your chemicals from?

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:32 AM

Snappy is on a distinguished road

I'm glad your'e finally willing to share some photos and are getting over your tank shyness. Do I see the next FTOTM here??

Greg
Old 05-25-2007, 02:12 AM

ClubReef is on a distinguished road

Christy - Balling Method in my understanding is simply a 3part dosing regiment that is extremly popular in Europe and NAmerica. I use the trusted Randy Holmes-Farley 3part recipe. I purchased my Chemicals locally in Calgary but I'm sure it's readily available in Edmonton. This is where i buy my stuff.

Dow flakes (CaCl) from Univar. Check to see if there is a Univar warehouse in Edmonton..Folks in BC are not able to buy directly from them, but you might luck out since you live in AB.

NaHCO3 is simply arm and hammer. I always bake it at 350F for at least 1hr (to relase C02 which will make your pH basic)..then store it. When I need to mix it up, I'll nuke in the microwave prior to mixing (stuff will disolve much better heated). Univar also carry bulk NaHC03 that is food grade.

Mag Flakes or MgCL is also available at Univar..this stuff will last you forever if you buy the 50kg bag.

Mg Sulfate is simply Epsoms salt that you can buy at any local drug store. I've used the Rexall brand. (you need this to counter balance the Chloride in MgCL..Randy explains this in his document)

Use Randy Holme-farley instruction and the dosing calculator. The advantage of this system is it's extremely cheap (forget those pre-bottled additives in an SPS tank) but will require manual dosing unless you invest in a dosing unit.

I hope this helps

Darryl
Old 05-25-2007, 02:15 AM

vanreefer is on a distinguished road

Sweet tank... nice colours
Old 05-25-2007, 02:15 AM

fastfish is on a distinguished road

Very very nice tank! I love your green stag in the second picture.

Any more pics to share? we would love to see.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:37 AM

Thanks for the compliments everyone! I've been on Canreef for over a year and half and I've seen some pretty impressive tanks and corals (all variations softy, LPS and SPS). I hope we can get some more premium coral stock out west

Greg - thanks.. You've been very generous with your frags!

fastfish - Here's some eye candy for you, lit with Giesmann 13K..no actinic due to reflections . BTW - I have seen your tank and specimens posted here..they are outstanding!

Old 05-25-2007, 05:35 AM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

Very, very nice! It's interesting that this balling method has come up a few times on Canreef in the last few days as it's something I've been reading up on a bit myself. What were you doing before you started the balling method, or have you always done it?

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 05-25-2007, 05:05 PM

Thanks Drew,

I've used Kalk additons way back when I started the tank but as corals grew out it couldn't keep up with the depletion rate so I started using the 3part method once I bought all of the chemicals. It's a very manual method for me but it's extremely cheap so I'm sticking to it for a while. It's a proven method and works well.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:35 AM

I took some fish portraits this morning and I thought i would share them in my tank journal. Nothing special/rare. The wife really likes clown fish

Old 05-28-2007, 05:50 AM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubReef View Post
Thanks Drew,

I've used Kalk additons way back when I started the tank but as corals grew out it couldn't keep up with the depletion rate so I started using the 3part method once I bought all of the chemicals. It's a very manual method for me but it's extremely cheap so I'm sticking to it for a while. It's a proven method and works well.
Cool. So no dosing pump(s) or anything? I'm currently dosing Turbo Calcium and dKH Superbuffer. Seems to be working fine....and really IS cheap!

Great photos, btw. Love the last one, especially!

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz