Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 07-14-2009, 11:25 PM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road

yes cleaner shrimp would get eatin fairly quick in your tank, and garlic dosent cure ich at all it improves the immune system of the fish so that they are able to fight it off better,
in my opinion it would be best to buy a used 90g and use it for a month as a qt if the fish start looking real bad or stop eating, a few specks here and there isnt much to stress about though so as long as things are under control id just start soaking their food in garlic and hope for the best
Old 07-17-2009, 03:32 PM

jassz is on a distinguished road

So now there seems to be more spots on both Bambi and Fabio. I really think I should treat the tank, but moving them is not a great option. I do have about a 30g spare tank, but I couldn't imagine the lionfish in a tank that size. So, what I wondered is if I could move the rock instead? I only have live rock and some base rock (I assume what is sitting under the live rock isn't live yet). Could I move those in to a tub or something, then treat the whole tank? I'd have to figure out hidey holes and sleeping spots for everyone with <?>... something. Maybe stryofoam or plastic?? What do you guys think?

jassz
Old 07-17-2009, 03:43 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

If you treat the main display tank with chemicals (even if you take out the rock), don't you still have to figure out how to get those chemicals out of your main display tank? That is, you'll probably want to flush the main display tank once everyone has been treated, that means moving them into a temporary hold while you do the flush? I would go with getting a larger used tank for QT'ing, or use your current display as a QT and buy a new tank for the main display :-)
Old 07-17-2009, 04:33 PM

The instructions on the bottle of Ick treatment say to remove it with carbon, which is what I did when I treated the first time around (plus a partial water change). But I don't want to submit the rocks to another treatment, as they did suffer a bit.

I truly have no room for a 90g tank, and I'm also recovering from surgery so shopping and bringing one home just isn't an option.

The rock would be all right in a tub, would it not? I've heard people talk about doing that, for other reasons.

thanks,
Old 07-17-2009, 05:53 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

ya, the rock will be fine in the tub. I have a few pounds of rock sitting in a tub right now with a heater and Koralia 1 circulating the water. The rock is waiting to be put into a new tank. Lots of pods swimming around in that tub with no predators.. hehe.

K.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:12 PM

Do the rock need the heater and hte circulation? Heat shouldn't be a problem, it's hot here. Would it be all right if I just changed the water every couple days? I'm figuring this to be a four day event or so...? Do the rocks need any nourishment? Selco?
Old 07-17-2009, 09:46 PM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassz View Post
Do the rock need the heater and hte circulation? Heat shouldn't be a problem, it's hot here. Would it be all right if I just changed the water every couple days? I'm figuring this to be a four day event or so...? Do the rocks need any nourishment? Selco?
The circulation is a must. Your rocks cannot move the water through themselves and if the water just stagnant the rocks will die. A power head of any size is better than nothing. The heater is more to keep temp fluctuations to a minimum and although air temperature is warm I'm sure it drops at night.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:55 AM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road

ich treatments that dont contain copper dont really require you to take out the rock, and if your treating with copper in your main tank even after cleaning/removing the copper best as possible you could have issues keeping corals in that tank, i dont know if you have any coral or plan on it, but copper based treatments are the best way to go in my opinion
Old 07-18-2009, 08:15 AM

Red Deer Reptiles is on a distinguished road
Default ick.saltwater

just a thought: kordon{aqualherbals} makes two products to fight ick. ick attack 100%organic and Rid Ick plus. also AQUARIUM PHARMACEUTICIALS sells Melafix MARINE. PLEASE PLEASE Read The DIRECTIONS. MAYBE THIS HELPS .2000gals plus running .
Old 07-23-2009, 01:36 PM

Default Now Cloudy Eye!

Thanks for all the suggestions. In the end, I did... nothing. I am quite baffled, as sometime it seems he has small white dots, and sometimes not. I don't know if it's the lighting, or if it's 'dust' that just settles there and leaves or what. But, as I lost most of the emerald green algae when I treated with the ick medicine, I'm reluctant to expose the rocks to anything else, even moving. Esp if I'm not sure it's necessary. There are no white dots on Bambi, but his scales do look roughed up from the bashing against the rocks (but whose to say that's caused by ick?).

Now, however, Fabio (the lionfish) has cloudy eyes. Both eyes. I researched this a bit, and it seems recommended treatment varies from antibiotics to epsom salts to melafix, and the causes seem just as varied. Since it seemed the least harmful to the rocks, I started a course of Melafix yesterday. It might help Bambi too. It says I'm supposed to treat for 7 days, and leave the protein skimmer off while I'm treating, which seems like a long time to be without the protein skimmer. I do have a Fluval filter running as well. Yesterday, before treating the tank and turning off the skimmer, the pH was 7.8, SG= 1.023 and ammonia, nitrate and nitrite all negative. Since I can't turn the protein skimmer on, what do I do if anything does come up positive? Water changes?

Oh, and the other thing that happened 2 days ago is that Olivander, the Valentini puffer, puffed himself for no apparent reason. I have never seen him puff, the prev owners said they had never seen him puff. It didn't appear that anyone else in the tank was paying any attention to him whatsoever. I just mention it because I have no idea if it is in any way related. Sign of stress? Appetites seem good for everyone, though Fabio didn't eat yesterday. Not that unusual though, as he often skips a day and then is ravenous the next day.