Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-29-2012, 04:41 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough
Default Might have to eat my own words re: quarantine

So it looks like something I've added may have introduced velvet into my tank. Lost a tang yesterday, and it looks like my filefish isn't going to make it through the day. I've never actually seen velvet, so not sure that's what it is, but more of the fish are developing marks on them, and I'm not optimistic that this is going to end well.

Options? Best way to deal with this is find new tank, set it up somewhere, tear apart reef, catch fish and treat. Hope that the tank can go back together in some sort of fashion without killing all my corals.

What's option "B"?

As an aside, I won't be bringing any frags to the swap today, probably not worth the risk of spreading this.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:50 PM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

Try herbtana. It's reef safe
Old 01-29-2012, 04:53 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Get a hold of Chin, Anthony or Tom R. They gone through this. Biggest thing is to act fast. Is it a reef tank or fowlr?
Old 01-29-2012, 04:56 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Get a hold of Chin, Anthony or Tom R. They gone through this. Biggest thing is to act fast. Is it a reef tank or fowlr?
Full SPS reef with no chance of catching the fish. I'd have to tear it down.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:10 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

yeah and it is velvet, ich and brook safe as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoD View Post
Try herbtana. It's reef safe
Very sad to hear that. Best option and only option that is half decent is to catch all the fish and treat fast. Problem is..what is it? if it is velvet then Cupramine is the way to go, if it is brook then formaline is the way to go. I think Paraguard also work as I have seen some clownfish being successfully curer from brook with Paraguard. Not sure how effective Paraguard is for velvet.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:17 AM

vaporize is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to vaporize

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d View Post
yeah and it is velvet, ich and brook safe as well.

Very sad to hear that. Best option and only option that is half decent is to catch all the fish and treat fast. Problem is..what is it? if it is velvet then Cupramine is the way to go, if it is brook then formaline is the way to go. I think Paraguard also work as I have seen some clownfish being successfully curer from brook with Paraguard. Not sure how effective Paraguard is for velvet.
Paraguard is like formalin, it can burn off some velvet on the skin but will not cure it. Becareful with paraguard though, it can be overdose without knowing and it cannot be tested. Usually by the time you see velvet on the fish's body, it's already terminal stage and very hard to cure (even with cupramine).
Red Sea, Black Saddleback, Brown Camel, Orange Fin, Melanistic Clarkii, Common Clarkii, True Percula, True Picassco, Pink Skunk, Orange Skunk, Maldives Clown, TRUE Sebae clown, Akin Clown, Gold Striped Maroon, White Striped Maroon, Latezonatus
Old 01-30-2012, 02:32 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

I have been going pretty generous with Paraguard and never had a problem with it. Once I dosed one full cap over by mistake in a 20 gallons (3 caps instead of 2) without any bad effect. Paraguard totaly decompose in the water after 24 hours unlike copper or cupramine which remain active and in the water forever.

I never had to treat velvet but I am treating 2 clownfish now with Paraguard for Brooklynella. They have been in quarantine for a month with 3 weeks of Paraguard and I will keep the treatment another week or so. The fish stopped scratching after a few days in Paraguard. I started treatment as soon as I saw the clownfish scratching on everything. Glad they were in quarantine so treatment was quick and easy.

Now that I read you guys having parasites show up after months..I will keep the clown in quarantine in observation at least another 4 weeks after treatment. I really don't want this stuff in my main tank so if it takes 4 months so be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporize View Post
Paraguard is like formalin, it can burn off some velvet on the skin but will not cure it. Becareful with paraguard though, it can be overdose without knowing and it cannot be tested. Usually by the time you see velvet on the fish's body, it's already terminal stage and very hard to cure (even with cupramine).
Old 01-30-2012, 02:45 AM
Gold Member

smokinreefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to smokinreefer

sorry to read about this brad.
glad you got some help dealing with this over there.
crap like this is always easier to get through with helping hands.
hope things work out!
Old 01-29-2012, 04:52 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

That's terrible. I've gone through it myself and so have some friends.

Leaving it untreated will almost guarantee a near wipeout. Its a PITA but catching them out and treating them with some copper-based med. like Cupramine I think is the only way to stop M.V.

It looks like ick but much more small white specks and then it just coats the fish till they look kinda fuzzy. Nasty, nasty stuff.

Hope you come out of this better than I did. It almost caused me to quit the hobby.

Anthony
Old 01-29-2012, 04:53 PM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

CRAP! I've never seen velvet either so I don't have anything to offer, other than just... CRAP!