Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 03-21-2009, 07:54 AM

randallino is on a distinguished road

I was so happy when they stopped caring saltwater fish.
Good Bye!
Old 03-21-2009, 03:09 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road
Default Yup

Coming from a past Petcetera employee, this is not a surprise. The head office of the company is about as us less as the lint in my pocket and any profits they make are swindled away by the constant turn over of managers trying to stay alive on the $24,000 Salary (for 60-90 Hours a week). Good to see them declare bankruptcy, no longer will Petcetera provide dismal service/ animal husbandry to the masses of Canada. Rest in peace Dan Urbani.
Levi

BTW. I worked there for a year and a half and I saw over 24 managers and around 15 staff members come and leave, most of the time I was in the store by myself and the amount of work load put onto the employee's was STUPID. At the age of 16 I did payroll, staff scheduling, inventory, stock, store cleaning, doggy daycare, REP scheduling, care for all small/ large animals, birds, fish walls and the CHS Dogs/Cats, Cash, Cash checkout/ bank deposit/ change, pricing and garbage (plus ever other responsibility you could think of) and I was paid a massive $10.00 an hour!!!

Last edited by Zoaelite; 03-21-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:17 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Hmm...never happy to see people out of work or a Canadian company go down. The most local store for me (Kelowna) never really carried SW and otherwise the store seemed reasonably clean and far better than the local Walmart for how they treat their FW fish.

We can't really count this chain as gone...they only declared chapter 11...so they are still going to try to make a run of it....maybe just a smaller run.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:25 PM

Ephraim is on a distinguished road

I doubt they will be able to make even a small run at it, they are in debt to thier suppliers over 25 mil(no way they can generate a decent portion of that with this 60 day liquidation). They were put on a cash only basis by pretty much every wholesaler over a year ago when they stopped paying thier bills. Hell they werent even keeping up the rent payments on many of the stores, thats why the Poco location closed recently.

Thier only chance is a bailout or buyout by someone else in the industry. Truth be told, as much as they are in debt they are quite valuable to some of thier suppliers who stand to lose over 40 stores that were purchasing product from them.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
I doubt they will be able to make even a small run at it, they are in debt to thier suppliers over 25 mil(no way they can generate a decent portion of that with this 60 day liquidation). They were put on a cash only basis by pretty much every wholesaler over a year ago when they stopped paying thier bills. Hell they werent even keeping up the rent payments on many of the stores, thats why the Poco location closed recently.

Thier only chance is a bailout or buyout by someone else in the industry. Truth be told, as much as they are in debt they are quite valuable to some of thier suppliers who stand to lose over 40 stores that were purchasing product from them.
Great, all we need now is 40 PetCetera locations owned by Hagen . Add insult to injury why don't ya?
Levi
Old 03-21-2009, 04:54 PM

Ephraim is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoaElite View Post
Great, all we need now is 40 PetCetera locations owned by Hagen . Add insult to injury why don't ya?
Levi
You hit the nail on the head, that is the exact rumor that I am hearing right now. They are in deep with hagen for 1.95 mil.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:34 PM

Purple is on a distinguished road

So I went to Petcetera today for the big sales. Didn't find them, all they had was 15% off the whole store. BUMMER!
Old 03-21-2009, 05:49 PM

DBM is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
You hit the nail on the head, that is the exact rumor that I am hearing right now. They are in deep with hagen for 1.95 mil.
Can't see Hagen picking them up. Hagen knows how to run a business, why pick up a company that can't come even close to turning a profit, and is so poorly structured?
Old 03-21-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBM View Post
Can't see Hagen picking them up. Hagen knows how to run a business, why pick up a company that can't come even close to turning a profit, and is so poorly structured?
You would be suprised, Hagen owns a STUPID amount of Petcetera already through shares in the company. Appx 80% of the product they sell in there locations is Hagen (From Nutrience to ExoTerra). A complete take over would have Hagen taking a retail step into the pet buisness, this should be fun to watch.
Levi
Old 03-21-2009, 07:18 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

I was in this morning. Basically everything is just 20% with a few higher discounts here and there. Got some food and litter for the kitty.. we also picked up a bigger bird cage.. they were 50% off so not a bad deal.

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2