Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-24-2015, 07:20 PM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road
Default Prazipro & fish appetite

My normal prophylactic QT procedure is a tank transfer protocol, dosing prazipro for the last two transfers. I'm presently in the middle of the protocol for a new addition and just dosed Prazi yesterday.

Any other fish and I wouldn't be concerned, but this fish is of a particularly fickle variety and is already pretty underweight. It's refused all food since I dosed, but was eating an increasing number of pellets for the past week. I'm not going to dose it for the final transfer, but do you all think I should do a 100% water change now just to get it out? It would mean it was only exposed to Prazi for 24 hours.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:39 PM
Jedi Master Reefer

Wheelman76 is on a distinguished road

If the fish has been eating for the past week then I wouldn't be too concerned if it's only been one day that he stopped eating. I don't think you will get much benefit with 24 hours of prazi treatment. I treat for 5 days and then do a water change add some carbon and then start another 5 day treatment the next day. I've never done the tank transfer method , how long is your usual treatment of prazi? Or how long is each transfer ?
Old 03-24-2015, 08:18 PM

George is on a distinguished road

I would leave the fish in PP water for the length of current transfer which is 72 hours. The fish won't die in 3 days if it was eating before the PP.
Sounds like you are doing PP back to back. You might want to wait a few days (anywhere from 3-5 days) between 2 treatments. The idea is PP can't kill fluke egg. The few days between treatments are there for the egg to hatch.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:46 PM

I've typically been doing a single dose at the start of one of the transfer periods (3 days), then another dose at the start of the second, for a total of 6 days under treatment. The bottle says 5 days is usually sufficient, so it seems like a convenient thing to incorporate.

There's no evidence of flukes on this fish, which is why it seemed like a big risk for little benefit if it was going to kill his appetite completely. It's a moorish idol, which is already supposedly the hardest fish in the sea to keep, so I'm being hyper vigilant.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:55 PM

hackerberry is on a distinguished road

Try offering Doc Eco's egg. Tried it for the first time and all my picky eaters are out and eating like crazy whenever I offer it. Hope the fish gets better.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:05 PM

Where do you get it? I've never seen it at any of the stores in calgary
Old 03-24-2015, 10:24 PM

The Codfather is on a distinguished road

Talk to Denny, think they carry it at concept.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:54 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I would finish the treatment too. If you don't, then you just need to repeat it, and chances are it will cause anorexia again as Prazi is known to do this.

SPS fanatic.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:00 PM

On a slightly related note, does anyone know how much live rock if need to "instantly" cycle a QT tank with one 2.5" fish? My canister filter got hijacked to keep goldfish from my pond that I didn't really mean to keep all winter going. When the TT is done I want to keep him isolated and fatten him up, but I'll have to poach rock from my sump for a biofilter
Old 03-25-2015, 01:43 AM
Jedi Master Reefer

Wheelman76 is on a distinguished road

+1 on the docs Eco eggs , great product and im pretty sure the stock it at Concept. Also even if you don't see any flukes on the fish , prazi will treat for any internal parasites as well which is a good reason to try and treat for as long as you can.