Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-31-2012, 02:00 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone had any luck getting rid of hair algae?

It ain't pretty but I need some sort of strategy for this stuff. I had a bit of a crash a couple months ago and the stuff popped up out of nowhere. I haven't had to deal with HA since I started in this hobby many many years ago (although I've dealt with every other kind of algae it seems). So far I've been picking/siphoning it out but to no avail. I added about 10 astreas and an urchin. So far about 4-5 snails have croaked (also have some cyano and some sort of odd brown cyano, I assume that is killing them but who knows). No interest in a lawnmower blenny because once the HA is gone there will be no more food source and rehoming fish here is next to impossible.

So, new bulbs coming within the week. All parameters are good:

temp 78.9
SG 1.026
alk 9 dkh
ca 450ppm
PO4 0.03ppm
NO3 5ppm

So, anyone have any magic bullets or will it be a combo of time and diligence. I don't have a lot of time for the tank lately but if someone has a good success story it would be encouraging

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:11 AM

ocean diver is on a distinguished road

Weekly water changes of 10%, lite feeding only, clean all "crap" out and suck HA out also, run reactor with GFO. This will work and will take some time to see results.....about a month!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 02:42 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

The brown cyano may be dinoflagellates if the snails are dying. Do you have a calibrated digital pH meter to test pH? Test kits are useless for pH.

The mini crash suggests you're dealing with nutrients from die-off. Temporarily (or permanently) adding extra water flow to stir things up better would help a lot. Especially blowing behind rocks and down by sandbed. Maybe look into vodka/vinegar dosing or biopellets until you're under control again. Some Lawnmower Blennies will eat prepared foods (most won't), you could look for one that will. Or a smaller species Foxface Rabbitfish if you have room in the tank. Be diligent with weekly 10% waterchanges taking the time to pull out the algae (12-18" tweezers are handy for this purpose).

What is Mg at? Do you dose Mg? If so, which product?

In the end, elbow grease and time.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 12-31-2012 at 02:44 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:24 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
The brown cyano may be dinoflagellates if the snails are dying. Do you have a calibrated digital pH meter to test pH? Test kits are useless for pH.

The mini crash suggests you're dealing with nutrients from die-off. Temporarily (or permanently) adding extra water flow to stir things up better would help a lot. Especially blowing behind rocks and down by sandbed. Maybe look into vodka/vinegar dosing or biopellets until you're under control again. Some Lawnmower Blennies will eat prepared foods (most won't), you could look for one that will. Or a smaller species Foxface Rabbitfish if you have room in the tank. Be diligent with weekly 10% waterchanges taking the time to pull out the algae (12-18" tweezers are handy for this purpose).

What is Mg at? Do you dose Mg? If so, which product?

In the end, elbow grease and time.
The brown cyano isn't dinoflagellates. No bubbles and it doesn't come back in a matter of hours like dinos.
I've already got a ridiculous amount of flow (wavebox, tunze 6100, 6080 and 6045, vortech MP40, dart return full open). I have been turkey basting and siphoning where things pile up (I've angled the flow to pile detritus in easy access points).
I do 20% weekly waterchanges which have sort of fallen off into bi and tri-weekly waterchanges but I'm getting back on track the past few weeks.
No vodka/vinegar dosing. Even if its the holy grail I'm done with that stuff, its too "smoke and mirrors" for me.
Might have a look for a foxface rabbitfish, fish are slim pickins around here, if it wasn't in Finding Nemo or an "aggressive"/FOWLR type its unlikely I'll find it. I haven't had much luck with fish that are supposed to eat certain types of algae. I think my other fish just tell the new ones to hold out for prepared foods. My fish are a bunch of lazy arses.
Mg is at 1290, working on raising it up but I rarely go past 1300. The tank uses a ridiculous amount of Mg. I use Elias magnesium mix, he does the Randy Holmes-Farley recipe for me and a doser takes care of the rest.
Already running GFO, can't say I'm impressed with this last batch from BRS, it doesn't seem to be doing a bloody thing, all the phosphate just goes straight to whatever algae is breeding away in the tank so PO4 levels are usually low.
No pH meter, it died awhile ago and I never replaced it. Tank was always 8.1-8.3 though and frankly the tank used to run at 7.8 and looked the best it ever did.

I think Ocean diver has it right though, elbow grease and time. I'll see if I can jack up my Mg levels. I've read that higher levels (1400+) can help knock it back as well.

Thanks for the ideas

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:32 AM

burgerchow is on a distinguished road

Only thing that works 100% is a sea hare or a couple of them. Had bad hair algae problem a couple years ago. Tried all the standard methods to eliminate it, but nothing worked til I introduced sea hares. They munch that stuff off right to the roots so they don't grow back. Problem is you will need to re home them once all your algae is gone, or they will starve.

Toke-toke-pass.

120 , lps. 2xKessil A350W Tuna Blues, 2xvortech mp40 for flow,aqualogic 1/4 hp chiller, 160 lbs live rock. sohal, , pair of percs,flame dotty back , royal gramma, pair of black percs, niger trigger, mandarin

55 corner bowfront freshwater, African cichlids kessil a350

30 gal 36x36 coffee table fish tank. 3 red ear sliders.

5.5 gal nano, live rock, arrow crab, baby perc, firefish.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:37 AM

toxic111 is on a distinguished road

For me on my old 33 it was pulling rock right out & scrubbing it with a nail brush. The 10% water changes twice a week. Tried GFO, but never really worked for me, I moved to Probidio and that seemed to help. It did take me 6 months or more to beat it.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:06 AM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

You could try hydrogen peroxide. Read this

http://www.frozenocean.org/t1710-hai...rogen-peroxide

And this

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/26870...s-to-prove-it/
Old 12-31-2012, 04:06 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I can probably get you a seahare on loan. Also have a reactor and pellets if you want to try that. We also have a foxface in town, IIRC.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:28 AM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

I know you said no to vodka dosing but when I had HA problems, that was the only think that got rid of it. And it disappeared really fast. I think within a week of vodka+MB7 dosing my HA had mostly melted away. Now I do 0.6 ml vodka daily and the tank is sparkling clean. Don't go the biopellets route. The more I see people having issues with them, the more I'm convinced they can do more harm than good. Vodka dosing gives you better control over the process.

Between that and a seahare you'll have the issue nicked in no time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillegom View Post
Peroxide does work but I really need to stress that peroxide and living tissue is a seriously bad combo. I've read some horror stories of this trick going badly for some people. I work with peroxide and work and know first hand the damage it can do, especially in the presence of UV. If you run metal halides, only dose the peroxide after the halides go out otherwise you are making radical species which go all Chuck Norris on anything alive it comes in contact with.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:36 AM

SanguinesDream is on a distinguished road

I've used the ole elbow grease method of taking the rock out and scrubbing the pieces with a vegetable scrub brush. Works like a charm.