Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 04-04-2012, 02:00 PM

yellowworld is on a distinguished road
Default Conundrum

Dose anyone know what would happen to the wave if you were to place a wavebox in the middle of your tank?

every time i see one its right in the back in the corner, but what would happen if you were to place it right in the middle of the tank? say you were to hide it inside of a central overflow so that you could have all 4 sides viewable with out obstruction.

Can anyone try this? just move your wave box to the middle for a minute and see?
Old 04-04-2012, 02:52 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

You can generate a wave from the middle but the frequency will be half what it was before. For example if it was set at 0.8sec at the end it would need to be 0.4sec in the middle. The wave will also be bigger on the one side of the tank. I did this with Nano boxes, shot from the middle and it worked but I had to get another one to point the other direction to make an even wave on both sides. Results may with the large box and different tanks sizes but the overall effect should be similar.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:59 PM

so what about something like a drop off tank, if you were able to plumb the box so that it pushed a wave inside the tank from the edge of the drop off, it would have a larger more energetic wave in the deep end of the tank and a smaller less energetic wave at the shallow end of the tank then fall off into the overflow box - kind of simulating a real wave and reef type enviroment.

Did you notice along side the frequency changing by half, did it take any more of less water to create the same size wave?
Old 04-04-2012, 03:03 PM

something like this: the two bulkheads would have elbows facing the deep end, the water would overflow at the shallow end, and the box at the back would contain a tunze controllable pump plumbed to the two bulkheads and it would operate as a wave box would.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:18 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Not sure about the amount of water you're speaking of, I know in my tank the nano boxes where maxed out at 100% power but realistically I think the tank was too big for them but the larger box wasn't an option.

With that tank design it might be beneficial to run it from the center to create the effect like you described, however I'd image the effect might not be quite the same as the wave in the larger volume area will likely multiple in magnitude going into the smaller volume area no matter what. It will be a more natural effect but you might actually generate actual breaking waves over the shallow end, hard to say but it might be an issue.