Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-09-2008, 01:36 AM

Starry is on a distinguished road

I just bought one off e-bay as well. Its skimming my LR curing tank at the moment and pulling some nasty black crud out, nice and dry, and I only recived it yesterday. Was a pita to assemble though, and dont like that the output is right above the intake, but will mod it later.

Added more airline to the "silencer" and that quieted it down alot.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:43 AM

sharuq1 is on a distinguished road

The collection cup is what would overflow. Many people run a css. Unlike the seaclone this skimmer actually works, lol.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:20 AM

b-diddy is on a distinguished road

I guess I'll just have to check it often. With a 50 gallon tank how often would something like this be changed? I imagine it depends on how many critters you have swimming around.

I'm looking forward to getting it and trying it out. I've had my tank running for about a month without a protein skimmer and I've got a pretty good film on the top now. Hopefully this'll get rid of all the nasty bits.

50 Gallon Tank (Running 2 months now) with a Fluval 305 and a Coralife 65 Skimmer en route.

1 clown, 1 Mandarin Goby, 4 crabs, a sexy shrimp, some mushrooms and an enemone for the Clownfish (which he doesn't seem to be taking to)
Old 02-09-2008, 05:25 AM

bv_reefer is on a distinguished road

Ok i'm getting one , i'm convinced. definitely gonna have a small container under it incase things go haywire on me and it starts flooding. I do a decent water change every week anyways so this will just help out enough to cut back on the water changes a little bit. I'm going for the 65 model though, hang-on type. so clean the intake every week, adjust the water level and adjust it till it skims wet, got it.

My reef~http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...-/P4300459.jpg
Old 02-09-2008, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starry View Post
I just bought one off e-bay as well. Its skimming my LR curing tank at the moment and pulling some nasty black crud out, nice and dry, and I only recived it yesterday. Was a pita to assemble though, and dont like that the output is right above the intake, but will mod it later.

Added more airline to the "silencer" and that quieted it down alot.
hey starry what and where exactly is the silencer? i'd like to know if i end up having problems with noise. so just regular clear airline is fine?

Old 02-09-2008, 05:53 AM

Starry is on a distinguished road

It's a small canister that connects to the airline going to the venturi intake. Just connect another foot or so of tubing to where the air is taken in and it shuts it right up. The css can be run HOB or in sump. Mines set up HOB for now till I get my 25 gallon sump set up. I dont like the Rio water pump in my tank, its too big and bulky. But wont matter in a sump application. I have mine running fairly dry so as not to tempt it to over flow. I think the wetter you ran it (water level higher) the more likely of a flood. I have my pump intake about 1" below the surface so if it DOES flood, Im not gonna loose alot of water.

Last edited by Starry; 02-09-2008 at 05:56 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 02-09-2008, 06:09 AM

great thanx alot everyone for all the comments,