Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-04-2008, 08:51 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road
Default sump-less skimmer

Hi There. I am new to this site and need some help please. I have a 90 gal. corner, (1/4 cylinder), tank with stand. Up and running for 2 months (75lbs. crushed coral, 150 lbs. live rock, Coral Beauty Angel, Pajama Cardinalfish, Foxface, Scarlet Skunk cleaner shrimp, snails, hermits, mushrooms and a few softies). I would like to slowly add more fish, corals, etc. Water parameters right now are good, but I should have a skimmer for the extra load. The problem is the stand has a central support divider that leaves 2 small triangular spaces that are too small for a sump. The tank fits quite tight to the wall and looks funny if pulled away from the wall, therefore a hang-on skimmer won't work. My question is this: D & D Marine Enterprises makes a sump-less kit for their Terminator II skimmer. The kit functions like a canister filter. Is anybody out there familiar with this set-up? I'd like some advice before I go shelling out the money for this unit. Really appreciate any help.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:58 PM

dsaundry is on a distinguished road
Default Suggestion

Is there room under your tank to install a wet/dry filter. If so you might be able to use that with an overflow and run the skimmer on the wet/dry. How tight is aquarium to wall..3"-4"??
Old 02-04-2008, 09:09 PM

marie is on a distinguished road

Hi lance
Check out this thread, according to Doug the tunze skimmer sits inside the tank and looks just like an overflow box

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30063

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252

Last edited by marie; 02-04-2008 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:27 PM

Hi Marie. I checked out the thread you gave, and that is an option. I e-mailed D & D Marine Ent. for more info on the sump-less skimmer, and also placed a thread on reef central. I'll wait a couple of days to see if I can find some answers. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:25 PM

argan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to argan

why not use a hang-on-tank skimmer, on the side instead of the back?
Old 02-05-2008, 05:35 PM

kwirky is on a distinguished road

are any of the walls against the tank adjacent to a room that could house a sump? You could run a remote sump with pipes going through a wall behind the tank? It'd be nice and quiet too then
Old 02-06-2008, 07:48 AM

Drock169 is on a distinguished road

Deltec MC-500, i'm pretty sure you can hang inside the tank, and it has rather slim dimensions
Old 02-06-2008, 01:49 PM

b-diddy is on a distinguished road
Default Coralife 65

I just bought one of these on Ebay (New in the box.. hopefully arriving this week) for $75.00 and it's supposed to be quite slim on the back of the tank.

Not sure where it fares in the grand scheme of protein skimmers but as a newbie who's getting into this slowly I didn't want to fork out $500 for a megaskimmer!

Let us know what you decide on.

50 Gallon Tank (Running 2 months now) with a Fluval 305 and a Coralife 65 Skimmer en route.

1 clown, 1 Mandarin Goby, 4 crabs, a sexy shrimp, some mushrooms and an enemone for the Clownfish (which he doesn't seem to be taking to)
Old 02-06-2008, 03:08 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

if space is an issue and you can't fit a sump into the design then why not go skimmerless just a 25% wc every week will be fine seeing that you only have softies it shouldn't be a problem, although the problem I see is surface gunk when I had a tank without sump the top surface of water was always chalky white I tried everything to rid it but with no success!

If I were you I would do a hang on over flow with a sump on the side of your tank. I would build a shelf/cabinet just to the side of the tank and fit a 33g sump that way the sump is concealed and you can put some stuff on the shelf like a tv or some flowers whatever....

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 02-06-2008, 06:13 PM

Default sump-less skimmer

Hi everyone! I think I finally figured out what to do. The tank is located on an outside wall to the sundeck, so I'm going to build a well-insulated box on the deck and cut a small hole through the wall to run to a large sump/fuge I'll put in the box. Our winters are mild, and with the heat from a submersible pump and the lighting over the sump, I don't think the cold will be an issue. If so, I can always put some type of heater in the box. I'm thinking a Euro-Reef or Aqua C skimmer. Thanks for all the suggestions. Any advice on this or my skimmer choices will be appreciated.