Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-13-2014, 10:57 AM

saltyair is on a distinguished road

Flow? Lighting?.

if no containment and stable parameters lighting and flow would be my guess.
How old is the set up?
Old 05-13-2014, 11:54 AM

ltjn11 is on a distinguished road

As far as flow have MP10 and two hydor power heads have coral and power heads situated so they sway steadily but not being torn apart. My lighting is leds they are full spectrum par 38 bulbs 4of them. The corals are about mid tank height tank is standard 90 gallon.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:27 PM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road

I had a peppermint shrimp that would munch on my lps at night and in the mornings they wud be melting away as well. Not sure if you have any peppermints but if you do keep you eye on it.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:49 PM

No peppermints in that tank not even questionable reef friendly fish. Could it be a bacterial infection of some kind if so is there any thing a person could treat tank with.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:15 PM

saltyair is on a distinguished road

could be lighting - I assume the elegance is on the sand - were is the frogspawn located?

maybe lower all lps to the sand. or lower the intensity

Brown jelly disease is usually the infection your have to worry about the most. best thing to do is fresh water dip with some iodine or coralrx.

brown jelly usually occurs if the lps has been damaged or under fluctuating parameters causing stress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltjn11 View Post
No peppermints in that tank not even questionable reef friendly fish. Could it be a bacterial infection of some kind if so is there any thing a person could treat tank with.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:24 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelman76 View Post
150 is ppm , just multiply by 0.056 to get DKH. 150ppm = 8.4dkh
Thanks Jess I was not aware of that method, I just go by the chart on my Selifert kit. Cheers Laurie
Old 05-13-2014, 04:56 PM

Seriak is on a distinguished road

I find euphyllia really hard to keep happy over the long term. I have had a hammer start to recede in a tank with 10 other specimens that were all growing and happy. I took it out and put it in my frag tank, and the hammer came back and grew like a weed again. I am not sure what it was or wasn't getting in my DT. I now have a wall hammer that has been great for over a year start to recede and the trip to the frag tank has not halted its descent. They are just so picky. I almost think SPS are easier to keep happy over the long term.

Try iodine dips and keep your mg up. No direct flow and they don't need a lot of light. You will find that less light and flow brings them out of their skeleton a lot more. If they start to bleach, you have too much light. If the color is fine and they are retracting, try turning down the flow. If the actual tissue is receding from the skeleton, there is not much you can usually do especially if it's a wall.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:21 PM

Yes elegance is on the sand the torch and frogspawn were about mid tank would the lights make them dissolve that quick. Lights have been running since early December. The LEDs are 12 3 watt bulbs. The iodine dip can you just use regular iodine and mix at what strength
Old 05-13-2014, 06:46 PM

Seriak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltjn11 View Post
Yes elegance is on the sand the torch and frogspawn were about mid tank would the lights make them dissolve that quick. Lights have been running since early December. The LEDs are 12 3 watt bulbs. The iodine dip can you just use regular iodine and mix at what strength
Lights don't tend to cause tissue recession in my experience. I have had a torch and hammer start to bleach on me under intense light. The stalks start to turn clear.

For an iodine dip. I use Lugol's and you can put 2-3 times the recommended in a separate container with some of your tank water for about 5 min and then back into your tank. No need really for a rinsing dip.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:22 PM

Skimmer Juice is on a distinguished road

when was the last time you added a new coral to your tank?