Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 09-01-2012, 03:32 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenz0 View Post
I have that kit on my bc14.... lets just say i have it dialed all the way down due to problems with bleaching. If I were to do it again I would go with less LEDS
Just had an idea. Can you just remove some of the LEDs from the circuit? Just remove the wires from them: probably the ones to the extreme left and right on the heat sink, but making sure that you still have at least eight LEDs on each string? I can't think of any reason why that wouldn't work. Then you could ramp the LEDs up a little too: if you want to.

The only real benefit I can see is if you use a controller, and would like to run a "high noon" type program. I've read that LEDs have a longer life if they're dialed down, so that could be an advantage to leaving things as they are.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:25 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
I considered one of the Steve's LED kits. He's got an actual NC12 retrofit kit, and the price is good. He's also got some great LED colours (particularly violet), that I would like to try.

As this is for my contest tank, I want to be sure I can do it myself (though your offer of assistance is greatly appreciated and I'm sure some day I will request it . . . For LEDs or fixing my skimmer plumbing. ).

I have pretty much all the colors if you wanted to see them, I also have extra hardware and LEDs if you're interested. Actually I have 2 0-10V conversion kits I'll never use... Just saying.

Last edited by sphelps; 09-02-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
I have pretty much all the colors if you wanted to see them, I also have extra hardware and LEDs if you're interested. Actually I have 2 0-10V conversion kits I'll never use... Just saying.
I just realized something . . . I have no idea what a 0-10V conversion kit is, or why I should need/use them.

If I do need them, I'll happily purchase yours instead of ordering any for the 36" build. I'm pretty sure I've got everything coming from Martin that I require for the NC12 build (and then some).
Old 09-05-2012, 02:04 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

You only need it if you're using drivers that use PWM signal for dimming rather than 0-10v.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
You only need it if you're using drivers that use PWM signal for dimming rather than 0-10v.
Oh. I don't know what I'm using or how it works. I'll get back to you on that!

Edit: They're the Mean Well ELN-60-48D drivers. I believe they are 0-10V. That is very good info to have. It will give me additional options when shopping for drivers for the 36".

Last edited by Enigma; 09-05-2012 at 02:08 PM.